Welcome to Day #5 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
My husband had the idea that I should make nut roll cookies, but not like anything I had ever seen before, he wanted the filling in the inside with the cookie all around it. I wasn’t sure about this idea at all. I Googled and searched a few recipe apps I have, but couldn’t find anything like what he described. I wasn’t sure I wanted to try it, especially for Christmas Week, because it meant ACCKK!!! I’d be inventing a baking recipe!! Did I NOT bake just a week ago??
Well, I did it just today (yes, I procrastinated this one), and they came out pretty darn good! The nut filling stayed in the cookies, while I was afraid it wouldn’t, and they are pretty tasty, too. I did adapt this recipe from one for a regular nut roll cookie on Just A Pinch, where the cookies were rolled up with the filling inside. With my recipe, they aren’t rolled, there is a bottom layer of cookie, then filling, and then a top layer. I followed the ingredients for both the dough and the filling, so I did end up with a good amount of filling left over, but I have an idea to mix the filling with cream cheese and bake in mini fillo dough. The nut mixture would be great on top of muffins, or cooked into a bread. Maybe on pancakes? Okay, now I’ve forgotten to give you the recipe! Before I do, just a reminder to keep reading after the recipe for details on today’s giveaway, and if you have missed the other giveaway’s going on this week, just look for “Christmas Week” in the search bar up there in the right-hand corner. There are some great one’s!
Sweet, flaky cookies with a nutty center.
1 hrPrep Time
15 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks (one cup) butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups crushed walnuts
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- powdered sugar, for dusting and sprinkling
- Combine flour, butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat on LOW speed until mixture resembles coarse meal. Knead until dough forms a ball, about 5 minutes. Put in the refrigerator to chill, while you prepare the filling or up to 3 hours, removing from the refrigerator 1/2 hour before rolling out.
- Crush walnuts in a large freezer bag with a mallet (that part is fun!), mix the crushed walnuts, sugar, and milk together in a large bowl.
- On a surface sprinkled with powdered sugar, roll out dough to about 1/4 inch, cut into circles about 2 1/2 inches in diameter using a small cookie cutter or small glass.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Using a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon scoop the nut mixture and place a scoop in the middle of HALF of the cut out cookies. A little over 1/2 teaspoon is okay, but watch you don't go too over, or the filling will come out while baking. Once half of the cookies are topped with the nut mixture, press another cut out cookie on top of each filled cookie, and press closed all around with the back of a fork. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, rubbing the sugar across the top of each cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cookie comes out clean.
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs!
Today’s winner will receive one $250 Freund gift certificate, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. To enter, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for one $250 gift certificate to Freund Container & Supply, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. Gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. ***
***Disclaimer: This gift certificate is being provided by Freund Container & Supply, while the cookbook has been provided by Juanita’s Cocina. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Christmas Fudge by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter Cup Fudge by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Peppermint Mocha Tart by See Aimee Cook
- Peanut Brittle by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Cranberry Holiday Margaritas by Pineapple and Coconut
- Turtle Bark by The Girl In The little Red Kitchen
- Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Sauce by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pomegranate-Ginger Champagne Cocktail by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kletzenbrot – Christmas Fruit Bread from Tyrol by Masala Herb
- Spiked Butterscotch Hot Chocolate by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Frozen Mint Cookie Pie by The Messy Baker
- Stuffed Nut Roll Cookies by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Irish Cream Tiramisu by Cooking In Stilettos
- Lemon Sandwich Cookies by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Orange Creamsicle Fudge by Home Cooking Memories
- Stained Glass Window Cookies by Like Mother Like Daughter
- Eggnog and Cranberry Thumbprints by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter