Award Winning Chili!
This easy Award Winning Chili recipe is made with ground beef, beans, onions, tomatoes, and peppers, and can easily be made as spicy or not as you like.
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 jalepeno pepper sliced (optional)
- 1/2 of a green pepper diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 19 ounce cans dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 5-6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup V-8 juice
- 1 cup tomato juice I always use Campbells
- pinch Cayenne pepper optional
- a couple of dashes each red and green Tabasco sauce optional, or to taste
- 1 can or bottle beer I have always just used Coors Light, a stronger flavored beer will result in a different taste
Slow Cooker Instructions:
Brown the ground beef in a large, deep pan over medium-high heat. Drain well and pour into a large crock pot. Add remaining ingredients, stir well. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours. I usually do mine on high for around 5 hours.
Stove Top Instructions
Brown the ground beef in a large pot over medium-high heat. Drain carefully and return to the stove over low heat. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well. Increase the heat until the chili comes to a simmer, cover and simmer for two hours.
Calories: 498kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 60g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 499mg | Potassium: 1703mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2685IU | Vitamin C: 47.4mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 10.8mg