Savory Ham, Cheese and Sage Waffles with Creamy Ham and Mustard Gravy
Keep warm this Winter with these Savory Ham, Cheese, and Sage Waffles. They are great for breakfast anytime, can be easily frozen, or make an outstanding breakfast for dinner!
- For the waffles:
- 2 cups baking mix or pancake mix (dry and liquid ingredients prepared according to package directions)
- 1/2 cup finely diced cooked ham
- 1/2 heaping cup finely shredded or grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped sage
- For the gravy:
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1/4 cup finely diced cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I used 1 tablespoon spicy brown and 1 tablespoon yellow)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped sage
- Additional: garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and a sage leaf for decoration if desired
For the waffles:
Preheat a Belgian waffle maker according to manufacturer directions. Prepare baking mix or pancake mix according to package directions, then fold in the cooked ham, cheese and sage. Pour about 1 cup of the mixture into the preheated waffle iron and cook until steaming begins to slow down, 5-8 minutes. Carefully lift the lid and check the waffle, cook for 1 more minute if necessary. Repeat with remaining mix, keeping prepared waffles warm in a 200 F oven.
For the gravy:
Combine the heavy cream and 3/4 cup milk in a small pot over medium heat. Stir in the mustard and sage and heat until steaming. Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup milk with the cornstarch or flour. Pour the mixture into the heated cream/milk once it is simmering, whisk consistently for about 1 minute. Turn of the heat and stir the the cooked ham. Gravy will thicken upon standing.
Calories: 768kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 1816mg | Potassium: 314mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1995IU | Vitamin C: 6.7mg | Calcium: 422mg | Iron: 2.8mg