Homemade Penne Alla Vodka
Homemade Penne Alla Vodka, restaurant quality vodka sauce is less expensive to make at home, creamy and comforting Italian food.
- 28 ounce can tomato puree
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 ounces tomato paste (1/2 of a small can)
- 1 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream can subsitute light cream
- 8 ounces penne pasta cooked according to package directions
In a large pot saute onions in butter and olive oil until just beginning to soften; add garlic and cook, stirring,for one more minute. Add in the tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, sugar and vodka.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes.
During this time you can shred your cheese and chop the fresh herbs.
After 45 minutes, stir in the herbs and cheese and continue to stir until cheese is melted. Slowly stir in the cream until heated through. Serve over penne pasta cooked according to package directions. This sauce would work with many other types of pasta or chicken.
Calories: 635kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 857mg | Potassium: 1145mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 2170IU | Vitamin C: 28.5mg | Calcium: 286mg | Iron: 4.6mg