Creamy, homemade Pumpkin Soup, made with fresh pumpkin, is the perfect starter for Thanksgiving dinner.
- 3 ½ cups cubed fresh pumpkin (cubed into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic ,minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme (or ½ teaspoon fresh)
- 6 cups chicken stock (homemade or Kitchen Basics recommended)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine cubed pumpkin, chicken stock, onion, garlic, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper in a large pot and bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor or blender puree the soup until smooth. At this point the soup can be cooled and refrigerated, continuing with the next step the next day. Otherwise, proceed with step 3.
Return the soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 30 minutes, uncovered. Stir in heavy cream and serve immediately.
Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 933mg | Potassium: 535mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6050IU | Vitamin C: 8.7mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1.2mg