Want to try a delicious new breakfast treat? Honey Bunches of Oats Morning Energy is a new cereal line that is packed full of flavors like “Cinnamon Crunch” and “Chocolatey Almond Crunch” that can be eaten alone or used in recipes to create the perfect breakfast.
I was recently given the opportunity to try out their recipe for Cinnamon Breakfast Squares with Yogurt and Berries and share my thoughts with you. The recipe is really easy to make and perfect for the summer when berries are in season. The cereal is mixed with milk, sugar, flour, vanilla, and cinnamon then baked for 20 minutes. After cooling slightly it is cut into squares, topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt, sprinkled with cinnamon and drizzled with honey, then surrounded by fresh fruit. Sounds delicious, doesn’t it?
I used fresh strawberries and blueberries, but you can use your favorites. I imagine almost any berry or even grapes would be good with these squares. I really enjoyed them and I’m sure you will, too!
- 1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Morning Energy Cinnamon Crunch cereal
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ( I left it out)
- 1 container (6 ounces) Greek yogurt
- 3 cups fresh berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) or
- favorite fruit of choice
- Honey, for drizzling
- Nutmeg or Cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly butter and flour an 8-inch square pan, or coat lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cereal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon. While stirring, slightly crush the cereal using the back of the spoon or rubber scraper; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggs until well blended. Add milk, melted butter and vanilla, and mix well. Combine egg mixture with flour mixture. Pour batter (it will be thin) into prepared baking pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until it is set when lightly touched in the middle. Remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut into 6 equal-sized bars and place on serving plates. Top each square with a dollop of Greek yogurt, surround with fruit, and drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon and serve immediately.