Everybody's holiday season favorite, this gooey cheesy Baked Brie with Apricot and Walnuts is easy to make but comes with a wow look. Puff pastry, apricot preserves and walnuts makes this a crowd favorite from November till New Year's Eve.
Photo and complete recipe credit Anita Schecter of Hungry Couple .
Baked Brie in puff pastry is one of my favorite holiday appetizers. Well, that and shrimp cocktail. My husband and daughter prefer kielbasa with sliced cheese and crackers. I didn't grown up eating baked brie on the holidays, in fact the first time I ever had it was about 8 years ago when I made it for the first time.
What is brie cheese?
Brie is a soft, creamy cheese covered with a rind of edible white mold. It is made from cow or goat's milk an originated in France, but there are different varieties produced around the world, with the cheese being pasteurized in the U.S. and Australia, and un-pasteurized in Europe.
What to serve with this appetizer?
Crackers, sliced apples or pears, crostini, or crusty bread pair well with soft cheeses like this.
Can I change this recipe to my tastes?
Of course! You can leave out the nuts completely if someone is allergic, or substitute pecans or almonds. You can use any kind of fruit preserves or jam you like. You can also substitute camembert cheese for the brie, though it's a lower fat cheese that will be less creamy.
How to make Baked Brie in Puff Pastry
Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the puff pastry dough to remove creases. Trim the ends of the dough to use for decorating the dough.
Place the round of brie in the middle of the rolled out puff pastry and top with the preserves, then chopped walnuts.
Begin to wrap the brie, folding up and brushing with beaten egg mixed with water to glue.
Use a leaf shaped cookie cutter to cut out shapes with the leftover puff pastry dough. Place the shapes on top of the wrapped pastry.
Brush the dough round all over with the egg wash. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until the pastry is golden, about 30 minutes.
Looking for more holiday appetizer recipes? Try these:
Bacon Horseradish Dip (Heluva Good Copycat Recipe)
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, OR FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Baked Brie With Apricot and Walnuts
- 8 ounces Brie cheese round
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg beaten with one tablespoon water
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the sheet of puff pastry to remove the creases and trim off the ends to use as decoration.
- Place the brie round in the center of the sheet of pastry and top with the apricot preserves. Sprinkle on the chopped walnuts and begin to wrap the cheese with the pastry.
- As you fold the pastry up, brush with the egg mixture to glue. Use a leaf shaped cookie cutter to make some shapes from the remaining puff pastry and place on top of the wrapped cheese.
- Brush the entire dough round with the egg wash, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve hot with fruit, crackers and extra preserves, if desired.
Leave a Reply