With garden fresh cucumbers, onions, and sour cream, this Creamy Cucumber Salad is a cool, refreshing summer salad great for cookouts or light dinners.
Originally published July 22, 2016. Updated June 2, 2021.
I have always preferred cucumber salad with sour cream over all the other cucumber salads out there, especially the cucumber in vinegar salad without any sour cream kind that one of my closest friends loves. I just figure if your going to do that you might as well just make pickles.
- peeled and sliced cucumbers
- sour cream (regular or light)
- a small yellow onion
- white distilled vinegar
- granulated sugar
- fresh or dried dill
In my cucumber salad recipe, I use sour cream which I thin out with vinegar, then add sugar and dill. It's creamy and tart, and can easily be adjusted with more or less vinegar and sugar. I used to add salt and pepper as well, but I forgot this time. For the most part I have stopped adding salt to most of my recipes, preferring to let people add it if they want it when they are eating.
How to make the salad:
Peel and thinly slice cucumbers, chop onions fine and set aside while you prepare the dressing.
In a medium mixing bowl combine sour cream, vinegar, sugar, and dill. Mix well with a whisk. Taste and adjust the dressing if needed.
Then fold in the cucumbers and onions, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for for at least one hour before serving.
What goes well with this salad?
Every summer, I make this with cucumbers from my garden. It's great paired with burgers, grilled chicken, ribs, or even grilled fish.
How to store leftovers:
Because this cucumber salad is made with sour cream, it can only be left out for two hours (1 hour at over 90 degrees). Spoon any leftovers in a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Here are some more of my favorite summer salads:
and a few from some fabulous food bloggers:
Easy Caprese Pasta Salad from Masala Herb
Summer Corn Salad from Cooking with Carlee
Watermelon Salad with Cucumber Feta and Mint from My Kitchen Love
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, OR FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE! Click on the video to see the Cucumber Salad recipe step-by-step.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 3 pounds sliced and peeled cucumbers (weight after peeling)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
- 18 ounces light sour cream
- ¾ cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed (or 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill)
- Peel and slice the cucumbers, put aside. Chop the onion fine and continue to the dressing.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the sour cream, vinegar, sugar, and dill, stir well. Taste and adjust the vinegar and sugar if needed.
- Fold in the cucumbers and onions, mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.