These Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies covered with chocolate are sweet, chewy, and perfect for giving as a gift, if you can keep from eating them all yourself!
All photography and complete recipe courtesy of Kendra Reeder.
The holidays are coming up quickly and food gifts are always a good idea. Cookies, homemade beef jerky, fudge, breads, and pretty much any dessert, will be appreciated by many. See below for links to some recipes I've made in previous years that make great gifts!
These cookies are rich, but worth it! We can all go on a diet after New Year's, right? Well, my daughter just said no, she's not going on a diet. That's okay, she doesn't need one.
What will I need to complete this recipe?
You will need the following ingredients:
- Salted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Soft Caramels
You will need the following supplies:
- Mixing Bowl
- Spoon or spatula (to mix ingredients)
- Cookie Sheet or Baking Tray
- Microwave Safe Container
How do I store the Salted Caramel Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies?
You can store the cookies at room temperature for 3-5 days. I recommend storing it in an airtight container to make sure they stay soft and gooey!
Can I eat these warm or cold?
Either! We love them as soon as we’ve finished sprinkling on the salt and they are just as good after they’ve cooled down to room temperature.
Here are some recipes that make great gifts:
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, OR FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup 2 sticks salted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 15 soft caramel candies
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Coarse Sea Salt for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar
- Once thoroughly combined, add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing for about 30 seconds
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until combined
- Chill the cookie dough in the freezer for about 30 minutes
- Shape the cookie dough into 1-inch balls and place on a greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 8 minutes and remove from over
- Using the rounded edge of a tablespoon, make a deep indentation in the middle of each cookie
- Return to the oven for an additional 2-4 minutes, or until golden
- Transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool, in the meantime, prepare the caramel and chocolate
- Place the soft caramels and 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe container and heat in 15 second intervals, stirring at each interval, until it is melted and smooth
- Spoon the caramel into the indentations of each cookie, leaving some room for the chocolate
- Next, prepare the chocolate by heating the chocolate chips in a microwave safe container at 15 second intervals, stopping to stir each time until melted
- Add the remaining heavy whipping cream, stirring until smooth
- Spoon a small amount of chocolate over the caramel in each cookie, or place chocolate in a piping bag and pipe strings of chocolate over the cookie
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and enjoy!