This quick and easy Crab Bisque can be on your table (or in your mouth!) in under 30 minutes! This isn’t a thin Crab Bisque, crab is the star here, with carrots and celery taking second place, and the flavorful broth third. Plus, it’s lower in fat than traditional bisque! Read on for this creamy and delicious, lower-fat recipe.
Confession, I used canned lump crab in this recipe. Living in Northeast Pennsylvania leaves fresh shellfish pretty much nonexistent in the grocery stores, and I hate to admit it but I’ve never even been in a seafood market…so weird that my husband just called to tell me he is at one, and do I want anything? My answer, “Why have I never been there, and of course, crab cakes!” Ah, Friday’s during Lent (my husband is Catholic, I’m not), delicious seafood dinners! I can find refrigerated crab meat in the local stores, I just happened to buy canned this time.
Yep, I started this post and hoped to have it done on Friday, but then my daughter got the flu and a double ear infection, doctors on Saturday, distractions on Sunday, Monday I cleaned. So, this is a little late. My real life hasn’t been going the way I would have liked this Winter, thank goodness Spring is coming!
Back to the Crab Bisque recipe. I cut the vegetables small because I love crab, and I didn’t want to mask the crab with big chunks of carrots and celery. It’s just not fair to the crab! I do the same with my New England Clam Chowder. Unfortunately, this soup isn’t vegetarian because I used chicken broth, so it’s not suitable for Lent. I used equal parts reduced-sodium chicken broth and light cream, to keep the fat as low as possible while still creamy and delicious.
This quick and easy Crab Bisque can be on your table (or in your mouth!) in under 30 minutes! This isn't a thin Crab Bisque, crab is the star here, with carrots and celery taking second place, and the flavorful broth third. Plus, it's lower in fat than traditional bisque!
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 3- 6 ounce cans fancy lump crab meat, drained
- 2 stalks celery, reserve the celery leaves, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 carrot, diced small (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- celery leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons reduced fat butter
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups light cream
- 1/2 cup sherry (can use cooking sherry)
- 2-3 tablespoon all-purpose flour (depending on how thick you want the soup)
- black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add the carrots and celery, cook until just softened, 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in the chicken broth, add the garlic, chopped celery leaves, chopped parsley, sherry, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for one minute. Reduce heat, stir in crab meat and light cream, stir and cook over low heat until heated through.