Spicy ground beef, slow cooker, award winning chili! Just brown the ground beef, put it in a slow cooker, add some delicious beans, veggies, and spices and cook! Simple, easy, delicious!
Award Winning Chili
Okay, my award winning chili was a fourth place award for a chili contest at my husband’s work, but still, an award is an award, right? I believe it was 4th out of 37. Do you want to know the secret ingredient in my chili? Of course you do! V-8 juice! I started putting it in my chili years ago simply because although I like some diced tomatoes in chili, I don’t like a lot of them. I still wanted the tomato flavor though. I also put in a cup of tomato. I’ve liked both V-8 and tomato juice since I was very little and even my daughter who won’t touch anything with tomatoes in it will drink both! Okay, I realize that is not like a really major secret ingredient, but I swear it’s what makes this chili different.
I make my award winning chili recipe at least four times a year, often for big football games like the playoffs or Super Bowl. My husband is a Steelers fan, I stopped trying to pay attention to football a while ago, haha!
Normally, after browning the beef, I put everything in the slow cooker, but it can be cooked on the stove, exactly the same, except bring it too a low boil, then cover and simmer for about 2 hours. We like our chili extra spicy, but if you don’t just leave out the optional ingredients.
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, OR FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Fabulous ground beef chili, great for game day!
15 minPrep Time
5 hrCook Time
5 hr, 15 Total Time
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalepeno pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 of a green pepper, diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 19 ounce cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 5-6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup V-8 juice
- 1 cup tomato juice ( I always use Campbells)
- pinch Cayenne pepper ( optional)
- a couple of dashes each red and green Tabasco sauce (optional, or to taste)
- 1 can or bottle beer ( I have always just used Coors Light, a stronger flavored beer will result in a different taste)
- Brown ground beef and drain well. Pour into a large crock pot and add remaining ingredients, stir well. Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours. I usually do mine on high for around 5 hours. If your making it on the stove instead bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 2 hours.