Ok, it was a fourth place award for a chili contest at my husband’s work, but still an award is an award, right? I believe it was 4th out of 37. Do you want to know the secret ingredient in my chili? Of course you do! V-8 Juice! I started putting it in my chili years ago simply because although I like some diced tomatoes in chili, I don’t like a lot of them. I still wanted the tomato flavor though. I also put in a cup of tomato juice. I’ve liked both V-8 and tomato juice since I was very little and even my daughter who won’t touch anything with tomatoes in it will drink both!
We like our chili spicy, but if you don’t just leave out the optional ingredients.
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalepeno pepper, sliced (optional)
- ½ of a green pepper, diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 19 ounce cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 5-6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup V-8 juice
- 1 cup tomato juice ( I always use Campbells)
- pinch Cayenne pepper ( optional)
- a couple of dashes each red and green Tabasco sauce (optional, or to taste)
- 1 can or bottle beer ( I have always just used Coors Light, a stronger flavored beer will result in a different taste)
- Brown ground beef and drain well. Pour into a large crock pot and add remaining ingredients, stir well. Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours. I usually do mine on high for around 5 hours. If your making it on the stove instead bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 2 hours.
I hope everyone is ready for some summer recipes, I know I sure am! I’m trying a new salad ( salsa sort of ) with papaya and shrimp this weekend, if it’s good I’ll be sure to post it! Plus my famous ( well, among my friends anyway) tomato mozzarella and artichoke salad!