This copycat version of Walmart’s Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad tastes just like the original! This broccoli salad will quickly become a family favorite to make time and time again.
I’ve mentioned before that I used to work in the deli department of my local Wal-Mart. One of my favorite salad’s that they carry is Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad. It didn’t occur to me to try to make it at home until recently! I’m not sure why, I started making a version of a Mozzarella, Tomato, and Artichoke Salad they used to carry years ago! I guess time passing made me forget about it, I left there 4 years ago when I had my daughter. I finally decided to come up with my own version to serve at her birthday party last Saturday. What I came up with tastes EXACTLY like the store-bought! Rotini pasta, fresh broccoli florets, diced red onion, and a sweet mayonnaise dressing, this Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad is perfect for summertime cookouts, family get together’s, or anytime.
I am updating this post exactly three years and five months to the day that I published it. Since that time, and until just recently, it was my most viewed recipe every single day. It has more than twice the amount of views then any other recipe I’ve ever shared, and yet it never did well on Pinterest because the photo was so small. I’ve really learned a lot about photography in the last three years! I still don’t consider myself a photographer, it will always be more that I love to cook and share recipes. I made it several times since, for cookouts and other events, but I could never remember to take better photos, or improve on the writing, until I made it this past Saturday for my “niece’s” 20th birthday party.
Here is the old photo:
Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad
You can whip up this salad in just a few minutes. It does need to stay cold since it contains mayonnaise, so put it on a bowl of ice or refrigerate it after two hours.
Copycat version of Walmart's Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad. Tastes just like the original!
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 box tri-colored (veggie) rotini pasta
- 1 medium head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 medium red onion, diced fine
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Cook pasta according to package directions, with a few drops of olive oil and dashes of salt in the water to keep the pasta from sticking. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool and set aside in a large bowl.
- Wash the broccoli well and chop into small florets. Chop the onion fine, and mix the broccoli and onions with the pasta. Add the cheddar cheese to the pasta mixture, mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, and apple cider vinegar well. Pour the mixture over the top of the pasta, broccoli and onions, and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.