Oh my gosh! #BaconMonth is almost over, my daughter starts Kindergarten in two days, and summer is pretty much over! How did that happen? If you’ve been as busy as I have and missed hearing about Bacon Month hosted by Julie from White Lights on Wednesday, 1. That’s a tragedy. 2. You still have time to enter this weeks giveaway, BUT it ends tomorrow night, August 24th, at midnight, so hurry! Details on the giveaway below!
So, I love seafood, I clearly love bacon, and I love spicy foods, so I thought that this spicy shrimp casserole loaded with bacon would be perfect for Bacon Month. Shrimp baked in a creamy sauce of jalapenos and red chilies, topped with bacon and panko breadcrumbs, what could be better!
Great as an entree for a special occasion, this dish would also make a wonderful first course. My husband hasn’t tried it yet, but I’m sure he’s going to love it. I can see making this for his birthday, or maybe I’ll make him make it for me for my birthday next year.
Giveaway details: This week you can enter to win a copy of the cookbook Seduced By Bacon. Open to US and Canadian residents. Canadian residents will receive an amazon.com egiftcard in the amount of the book’s price. Winners will be announced within 48 hours, and will have 48 hours to claim prize, must be 18+, and entries will be verifies (no “giveaway accounts”).
Highly adapted from Project Foodie.
Baked shrimp and bacon casserole in a creamy jalapeno and red chilies sauce. Makes a great special occasion entree or divide into small ramekins for a fabulous starter course!
20 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 pound large (16-20 count) raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 10 slices hardwood smoked bacon, cooked and coarsely crumbled
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapenos (if you want it spicy leave a few seeds in)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped red chilies
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 1/2 cup lobster juice (can substitute clam juice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook bacon until crisp, drain and coarsely crumble.
- Lightly grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with butter. Stir together panko breadcrumbs, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon half the breadcrumb mixture into the bottom of the casserole dish in a thin layer, place the shrimp on top, followed by the crumbled bacon. Stir together the light cream, lobster or clam juice, and diced jalapenos and chilies, pour over the shrimp/bacon mixture. Top with remaining breadcrumbs. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Inspired by Pig: King of the Southern Table and found on Project Foodie
Check out all the other great recipes made this week!