Welcome to Day #2 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. With the big football game coming up, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25.
My husband suggested these mini cheeseburgers for me to make for this week. He told me they used to make them at an exclusive club he worked at as a teenager, and he remembered they were good. They aren’t like a typical slider, they only have a bottom bun which is lightly toasted before topping with ground beef and cheese. You can add a little bit of sauteed onions before the cheese if you like 🙂 The ground beef then cooks right on top of the bun in the oven. Not that kind of bun in the oven, the bread kind! Anyhoo, I wasn’t sure about this idea at all. Would the bun burn before the hamburger was cooked? Would the grease from the cooking ground beef make the bun a greasy mess? Wouldn’t the cheese melt a long time before the burger cooked and burn?
I shouldn’t have worried! These little cheeseburgers cook up in just 7-8 minutes, and the bun is perfectly crispy! It does take a few minutes to prepare the little buns and circles of cheese, but it’s worth it for a party, right? Save the leftover bread and cheese after you cut out the circle and use the bread to make stuffing, and the cheese can go in a pasta dish!
Check out all of the other bloggers participating today and today’s Appetizer Week giveaway, a 10 piece cookware set, right after the recipe!
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 20 slices Italian bread (about one loaf)
- 22 slices of your favorite cheese (you'll get about 2 circles out of each slice)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup finely diced onions (optional)
- 4 tablespoon butter divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Using a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter cut circles in the sliced Italian bread. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and lightly brush the tops of each circle of bread. Place on a large cookie sheet and bake for 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, using the same cookie cutter, cut slices of cheese into circles.
If using diced onions, melt butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat and saute until the onions are soft and just starting to brown.
Mix ground beef, ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Scoop 3/4 to 1 tablespoon of ground beef mixture onto the top of each toasted bread circle. Press ground beef into a thin layer on the bread circles. Top with a little sauteed onion, if using, and cheese circles.
Bake for 7-10 minutes and serve immediately.
Visit all the other Appetizer Week Peeps for more Munchie Causing Goodness:
- Pizza Dip by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Steak and Potato Bites by Kiss My Smoke
- Gluten Free Brie en Croute by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Caramelized Onion, Brie, and Pear Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Low-Carb Chicken Dip by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Caramelized Onion Dip by Cooking in Stilettos
- Tuna Bruschetta by What’s Cooking, Love?
- Harvest Sweet Potato Salsa by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Parmesan Chips by Makobi Scribe
- Mini Cheeseburgers by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies by Clarks Condensed
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Bites by From Gate to Plate
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Apricots by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Crock Pot Party Meatballs by My Catholic Kitchen
- Bacon Cheese Popcorn by Life Off the Clock
- Empanada Mini Pies by The NY Melrose Family
- Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Pinwheels by Home Cooking Memories
- Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- French Onion Grilled Cheese Stackers by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Root Beer Chicken Wings by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Low Sodium Swiss Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms by Cookerati
Today’s sponsor is Anolon. They are providing an Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel Collection 10-piece set, which includes1.25 Qt. & 2.5 Qt. covered saucepans, 3 Qt. covered saute, 6.5 Qt. covered stockpot, 8″ & 10″ French skillets. This Anolon Set has a stunning, high polish finish that would class up any kitchen. The set is crafted with a layer of copper on the bottom which provides optimum heat conduction. This Anolon collection is also dishwasher safe. Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel cookware is gorgeous and will withstand the test of time.
Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. Winner must be 18 years of age, or older. Winner will be selected randomly. Winner will be contacted via email and has 72 hours to respond before a new winner is drawn. Good luck!
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Anolon. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***