You could win $5000 and be featured at the New York City Food Network Wine & Food Festival
Have you ever been traveling, staying in a hotel, and yet can't afford to eat at a restaurant every single night? Have you ever stayed in a hotel that had kitchens right in the rooms? Extended Stay America has them, and even better, they are searching the nation for travel-friendly recipe in a recipe contest! These Cheesy Bacon Microwave Fajitas are quick ( around 20 minutes total to make), easy, delicious, and my entry in the contest. You can enter too, they aren't just looking for professional cooks or recipe developers, but regular home cooks, just like me and you!
Away From Home Cooking is a recipe resource put together by Extended Stay America, and they are looking to add to it with YOUR recipe. Wait, it get's better! Four finalists will win a trip to New York City to compete in a cooking challenge, with Food Network star Sunny Anderson and the grand prize winner will receive $5000 and a trip to the Food Network Wine & Food Festival and be featured along with Sunny! Ideal recipe submissions should be easy, able to be made in an Extended Stay America kitchen, which come equipped with a stove, refrigerator, and microwave (no oven, so no baking), and 10 ingredients or less. For complete contest details visit Contest.AwayFromHomeCooking.com. Contest updates are also posted on Extended Stay America's social media channels including Facbook.com/ExtendedStayAmeric and Twitter.com/ExtendedStay. Voting doesn't begin for a while yet, so I'll let you know when it does.
These fajitas only require a few plates to cook the bacon and onions and peppers in the microwave. Only the cilantro requires chopping, but you could use dried instead of fresh, just make sure to cut the amount to 1 teaspoon. Then you simply pile on the ingredients,fold the bottom over,
Place seam side down on a microwave safe plate,
Cook on high for 1 minute (for two fajitas), then turn and cook for 30 seconds more. Top with sour cream or guacamole, and you have a great dinner ready in 20 minutes or less!
Cheesy Bacon Microwave Fajitas and National Recipe Contest
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 fajita style tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ½ cup frozen diced onions
- ½ cup frozen diced peppers
- 4 pickled jalapeno slices diced fine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon butter
- splash lime juice
- Place the bacon, not overlapping, on a paper towel lined microwave safe plate and cover with two additional paper towels. Microwave on high for 6 mins, then transfer to another plate covered with paper towels and microwave, uncovered, for 1 minute more.
- While the bacon is cooking, place the frozen pepper and onion on a plate in a single layer to defrost slightly. Drizzle with melted butter, add the chopped cilantro and jalapenos, splash with lime juice, and stir. Microwave on high, uncovered, for 4 minutes, stopping and stirring once every minute. Evenly divide the mixture into 4 parts.
- Microwave tortillas , wrapped in a damp paper towel, for 20 seconds. Place two strips of bacon in the middle of each tortilla, top with onion/pepper mixture, and ⅓ cup shredded Mexican cheese.
- Roll tortillas by folding the bottom up and then over length-wise. Place two fajitas on a microwave safe plate, seam-side down. Microwave on high for 1 minute, turn, and microwave for 30 seconds more. Top with sour cream or guacamole.
This recipe is featured on Hun, What's For Dinner Simple Supper Tuesday #68