Sometimes a recipe catches my eye and I never forget it. Last Spring my friend Abby from Manila Spoon made a Stilton and Walnut Pie and it looked and sounded amazing! I LOVE blue cheese so I imagined it would be fabulous, but if you’ve been following along for awhile you know that late Spring and Summer are busy times for me, and I don’t have tons of time to cook. Besides, this recipe is so savory that I thought it would be better suited for the Fall or Winter here in Northeast PA. This pie is popular in the UK according to Abby and her British husband, and although I’ve never made my way there yet, I here the weather there is similar to here, only with more rain. I finally looked up her recipe again a few weeks ago, and decided that with the addition of some red and green veggies it would be great for a Christmas party. I was right!
This is a very rich, savory pie, not a dessert pie at all, but a mix of cream and stilton cheeses, red peppers, green onions, and chopped walnuts.You have to love blue cheese to love this pie. I really, really love it, so I used the full amount Abby suggested, but you can use less (up to three ounces less) if you would like a less strong taste. It is good warm, but not hot, and even better right out of the fridge! I ate it all three ways and hot was the only one I didn’t care for. That’s okay, because if your making it for a party chances are your guests aren’t going to be eating it right out of the oven anyway. Of course, after you try it, you might think it’s so good you’ll want to make it anytime, and that’s okay too!
You start by mixing up all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl
then pouring it into a pie crust and baking it in the oven for about 40-45 minutes.
and then letting it cool a bit before serving, or cool all the way and serve cold.
Check out the full recipe below for all the instructions on how to make this fabulous pie. Disclaimer: I am not responsible for the weight you will gain if you eat the whole pie!
- 9 inch refrigerated pie crust
- 3/4 cup chopped seeded red peppers
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions green and white parts
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces crumbled Stilton cheese or less
- 5 ounces chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Carefully place pie crust in a 9 inch pie dish, pressing down gently and crimping the edges. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together then add all of the remaining ingredients except the walnuts. Whisk until well blended, then stir in the walnuts.
- Pour into the pie crust, and bake for 40-45 minutes or until set and a toothpick stuck into the middle comes out mostly clean. It will fully set as it cools. Serve warm or cold.
Adapted from Manila Spoon Stilton and Walnut Pie
This recipe is featured on Foodie Friends Friday and Walking on Sunshine