Today is my first post for Bacon Month, yay!! All month long myself and a group of awesome foodies will be sharing fantastic recipes with bacon, and giving away a new bacon focused cookbook each week, thanks to Julie from White Lights on Wednesday. This week, through Sunday, August 10, you have a chance to win a copy of Bacon Nation.
Before we get to the giveaway, let me introduce you to the best halushki I have ever had. I mentioned at the beginning of the guest post my husband did for me, Polish Coal Miner Piggies, that I don't like cabbage. The only way I have ever been able to really enjoy it is in halushki, a Polish or Hungarian dish of shredded cabbage and egg noodles. Adding bacon and ricotta cheese to it takes it to a whole other level! The saltiness of the bacon combined with the creaminess of the cheese makes the cabbage (and noodles) just melt in your mouth. This recipe came about simply due to receiving two small heads of cabbage in my CSA share. My husband was the one who mentioned adding ricotta to it, I had never heard of it, but I guess his grandmother used to do it, and I just happened to have ricotta on hand. Bacon, well, I always have that on hand!
This week, through Sunday, August 10, you have a chance to win a copy of Bacon Nation. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds yummy! I know you want to enter right now, but you'll also want to check out my recipe for the best halushki ever below!!
Giveaways are open to US and Candian residents. Candian residents will receive an amazon.com egiftcard in the amount of the book's price. Winners will be announced within 48 hours, and will have 48 hours to claim prize, must be 18+, and entries will be verifies (no "giveaway accounts"). Click here to enter, and scroll down to the applicable week to fill out your entry.
Halushki with Bacon and Ricotta Cheese
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 12 ounces home style egg noodles
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 garlic scape ,sliced fine ( or two garlic cloves, minced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions, adding salt and a few drops of olive oil to the water. Drain and set aside, reserving about ½ cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Core and wash a small head of green cabbage. Slice in half (you may need more depending on how big your cabbage is), then slice into thin strips, discarding the thickest white part in the middle.
- Cut the bacon into 1 inch pieces. In a large pan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until just crispy (don't let it get too crispy!) Without draining, add the cabbage,onion,and garlic scapes. If using minced garlic wait to add it until the cabbage and onion are almost tender. Saute for 7-10 minutes,
- Add the pasta to the cabbage mixture, along with the ricotta cheese. Stir well, then add the reserved water from the pasta, a little at a time, until desired consistency. Serve immediately.
Check out all the great recipes my follow foodies are making for Bacon Month, and follow the #BaconMonth and #putsomepiginit hashtags on Twitter and Facebook.