In search of a quick dinner for those busy weeknights? Just grab some naan bread and a few fresh vegetables, and dinner can be on the table in 30 minutes with this healthy Arugula Pepper and Onion Naan Pizza!
This is the first recipe I've shared in a while that I don't have a back-story for, other than this is what we had for dinner last night. I've been making salads to go with dinner often since my husband's heart attack. My thinking is if he fills up on salad, he will eat less of the main course. He doesn't always get the concept of a serving size and will eat a lot more than that! So, anyway, I've been varying the type of greens I buy for the salads, and chose arugula this week. Believe it or not, my 5 year old will eat it! I only ever ate iceberg lettuce as a kid. She wasn't really thrilled with it cooked in this naan pizza, though, but she ate it!
I figured I would use some of the arugula to make a pizza, so I grabbed a bell pepper and a red onion at the store. I was thinking I was going to use regular flatbread, like I did for my grilled flatbread pizzas, but I couldn't find any, so I grabbed a package of naan bread, and Naan Pizza with Arugula Pepper and Onion was born! I had never had naan bread before, and it's pretty good. Great for making a quick pizza, I hate waiting for dough to rise! Making these is really simple, just slice the vegetables very thin (so they cook fast), brush the bread lightly with olive oil, top with the veggies, a little bit of reduced fat mozzarella and parmesan and bake for 15 minutes.
I'm positive this isn't the last time I will use naan bread in a recipe, I can think of several different things I could do with it. I mean, besides pizza, I can come up with a thousand ways to make pizza! Enjoy!
Would you like to attend the Food and Wine Conference and meet me and many of my great foodie friends this July? Use discount code fwc15martb to receive $50 off your ticket!
Naan Pizza with Arugula Pepper and Onion
- 2 Stonefire naan flatbreads (1 package)
- 1 packed cup arugula ,washed and squeezed dry
- ½ cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper (or any color you prefer)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese ,finely shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese ,finely shredded
- olive oil ,for brushing
- sprinkle Italian seasoning
- sprinkle black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the flatbreads on a large baking sheet and brush the tops lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle each flatbread with Italian seasoning and black pepper. Sprinkle each flatbread with half the arugula, peppers, and onions, then sprinkle each flatbread with half of the cheeses.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheeses are melted and the crusts are golden. Serve hot.