Serve this Sweet and Spicy Hummus, made with pureed chick peas, Sriracha sauce and brown sugar, as a game winning appetizer!
Sweet and Spicy Hummus
This week #SundaySupper is all about recipes that are great for eating while watching the big game. Our host is T.R. Crumbley of Gluten Free Crumbley.
I love hummus, but I'll admit I don't make it at home all that often. I've had lots of different kinds, just recently discovering sweet and spicy hummus. You might remember I was a little late to the sriracha craze, but boy do I love it! Mix it in with some brown sugar, and it's like heaven for me! I know spicy isn't for everyone, you can easily adjust the amount of sriracha in this recipe.
I made it in my blender, and I should have done it in two batches. I had to keep stopping the blender and stir the chick peas in. If you have a food processor, I would recommend using it instead. Otherwise, two batches is best.
Check out all of the yummy game day recipes below!
Sweet and Spicy Hummus
- 31 ounces canned chick peas, drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- ¼ cup tahini paste, well mixed (found in the Asian section of the supermarket)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup sriracha
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Place the chick peas, tahini paste, olive oil, sriracha, and water in a food processor, or if using a blender place half of the ingredients in the blender.
- Puree until smooth, scraping down the sides of the food processor or blender as needed. Serve chilled with pita chips or fresh vegetables for dipping. Also great as a sandwich spread.
Appetizers and Sides
- Atomic Buffalo Turds by Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Rolls by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Potato Wedges by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Buttermilk Battered Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cajun Okra Fries by Food Lust People Love
- Cheddar Sausage Balls by Tramplingrose
- Cheese Board and Baguettes Make for the Start of a Great Game Day Feast by Delaware Girl Eats
- Cheesy Crabmeat Canapés by Meal Planning Magic
- Cheesy Sausage Dip by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Chicken Fajita Nachos by Sweet Mornings
- Chipotle-Ranch Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Corn Dog Muffins by Noshing With The Nolands
- Crock-Pot Bean Dip by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Deep Fried Pimento Cheese and Celery Bites by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Dill Pickle Dip by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fish Taquitos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Asian Sweet Chili Wings by Flippin’ Delicious
- Healthy Guacamole Recipe by Real Food Real Deals
- Hogs in a blanket by Cooking on the Ranch
- Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Nacho Waffle Fries by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Patatas Pobres for a Crowd by Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Pepperoni Pizza Bites by Family Foodie
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pimento Cheese-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Rajas by Pook’s Pantry
- Roasted Broccoli Artichoke Dip by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Thai Wings by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Smoky Blender Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Southwestern Eggroll Cups by A Gouda Life
- Southwestern Flatbread and a “Design Your Own Flatbread” Table by The Freshman Cook
- Spicy Szechuan Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Palatable Pastime
- Texas Caviar by Books n’ Cooks
- Tex-Mex Egg Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Thai Beef Taco Bites by Brunch-n-Bites
- Three Cheese Macaroni Bites by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders With Tangy Warm Cabbage Slaw by Taste And See
- Buffalo Chicken Chili by Monica’s Table
- Cheeseburger Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesy Cheesesteaks by Family Around The Table
- Emeril’s Chicken and Andouille Gumbo by The Texan New Yorker
- Game Day Chili by Our Good Life
- Handy Beef Buns by Get the Good Stuff
- Lahmacun – Turkish flatbread by Caroline’s Cooking
- New Jersey Sloppy Joe by kimchi MOM
- Pizza Pasta Bake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Italiano Sandwich by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Puerto Rican Pernil (Garlic Roast Pork) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Ree’s Philly Cheesesteaks by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Cheese Bombers by Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Tuna Croquette Sliders with Avocado Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
Desserts and Drinks
- Chocolate Football Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Chex Mix by Pies and Plots
- Game Day Mocktails by Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Football Potato Candy by Gluten Free Crumbley
- S’more Poutine by Desserts Required
- Super Duper Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn by Only Taste Matters
- Plus Big Game Party Recipes plus Sausage and Peppers Over Cheesy Grits by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It's easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Vance Kibe says
This sounds like the boars head sweet chili garlic style which I love and can't always find. Can't wait to try it.
I thought I made a good hummus, nope! This is amazing!! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed this!
Awe, thank you! I'm so glad you liked it!
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook says
I was curious to see where the "sweet" came from. I never would've thought brown sugar! Love this idea.
I had seen it done with honey, but I wanted to do something different. Thanks!
Love the addition of Sriracha and brown sugar. Looks delicious!
Sue Lau says
The sriracha sounds like it would be great in this hummus!
Love hummus anytime but you have upped it with the sweet and spicy, fabulous idea!!
I love a good hummus 🙂