Sweet, moist Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting. These cupcakes are perfect for the holidays, with an easy to make Nutella buttercream frosting.
Welcome to Day #3 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
I’m having a blast sharing these great recipes and giveaway’s this week! For one thing, it’s a lot of things I don’t usually make, so now I will have my freezer stocked with desserts for Christmas and be able to give some away to my neighbor’s and my daughter’s daycare teacher’s. Since it is a lot of things I don’t usually make, I also get to expand on my baking experience. Plus, I love doing giveaways, especially this close to Christmas, so make sure you check out today’s right after the recipe, and don’t forget to check out the other great recipes being shared today!
I had a small package of chopped hazelnut’s in my cabinet that I wanted to include somehow in a Christmas Week recipe, and my daughter has been asking for cupcakes, so I decided I wanted to make chocolate hazelnut cupcakes with Nutella frosting. Of course I had to research some recipes, and I finally adapted one from Bird On A Cake that sounded really good.
Good. Yeah, these are PHENOMENAL!! Honestly, I could just sit with a bowl of this Nutella frosting and eat it with a spoon like it is ice cream. Or even forget the spoon and just use my fingers! You are going to want to do it, trust me. Just make sure to save enough to ice the cupcakes! In my case, I may have overfilled a few of the cupcakes because I ended up with a couple less than the original recipe called for, but that’s okay too, if you like big cupcakes with lots of frosting
Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting
Read on after the recipe for Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting to see all the rest of the great sweet treats shared today.
- For the cupcakes:
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup VERY hot, not boiling water
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hazelnut extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 13 ounce jar Nutella (equals about 1¼ cups)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Toasted hazelnuts (optional)
- For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pans with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together all of the dry ingredients. Mix two teaspoons hazelnut extract with the light cream, add to the dry ingredients along with the eggs, vanilla, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer until just combined, then add the HOT water and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour into liners, filling each about ⅔ full. It's okay if you go a little over, but stay under ¾ full or they could overflow! Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on a rack completely before frosting.
- For the frosting:
- Beat room temperature butter in a mixing bowl on low speed until smooth. Add Nutella and one cup of powdered sugar, beat until the sugar is mixed in, then beat in the other cup of sugar and the cream until smooth. Cover and keep refrigerated if not frosting the cupcakes immediately. Bring out of the fridge ½ hour before using.
- Optional: top cupcakes with chopped hazelnuts toasted in a 350 F oven for 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes.
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs! To enter to win one of FIVE different Freund gift certificates, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for five (individually awarded) $100 gift certificates to Freund Container & Supply. Gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. ***
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Freund Container & Supply. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Ginger Bears by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Santa’s Favorite Holiday Bark by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gingerbread Linzer Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gingerbread Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by See Aimee Cook
- Bourbon Barrels by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Toasted Almond Shortbread by The Messy Baker
- Midori Melon Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti by Noshing With The Nolands
- Wine Poached Pear and Almond Rugelach by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Bebinca – Layered Goan Cake by Masala Herb
- Artichoke Dip Tarts by Food Lust People Love
- Layered Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Brittle by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Chocolate Dipped Baked Potato Chips by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chocolate Chip Collapsidies by Try Anything Once Culinary