Comfort food at its finest, this American Pierogi Casserole is filled with mashed potatoes, egg noodles, onions, American and cheddar cheese, and lots of butter. It’s great for any get together or a warm, cozy dinner.
Today a group of us are hosting a surprise virtual baby shower for Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. Angie and her husband tried to have a baby for a long time, and are so excited to welcome their little boy. He wasn’t due for a few weeks yet, but decided to arrive on Wednesday. Congratulations Angie!
I can’t remember one thing we had to eat at my baby shower. I’m pretty sure we didn’t have American Pierogi Casserole, unless my friend Sue brought it. She makes it for almost all of her parties. The only thing I change is I add a cup of shredded cheddar cheese to mine. Cheddar cheese isn’t normally in recipes for this casserole, I just like it.
American Pierogi Casserole
The ironic thing for me about sharing this American Pierogi Casserole recipe for a virtual baby shower is that my own baby (now 8) hates mashed potatoes and always has. I didn’t even try to get her to taste this. I’m sure she will regret hating them now when she is older.
This dish isn’t hard to make, but it does take several pots and pans. You will need 6 cups of mashed potatoes. Make homemade and mash completely until smooth, or use instant potatoes! Trust me, instant potatoes are a big time saver and no one will know. You will also need to cook a package of extra wide egg noodles, and have 16 slices of American cheese. This is what it will look like right out of the oven.
Stir it up before serving. I’m sure it could be prepared in a slow cooker if you wanted to, but I haven’t tried it yet.
Check out all the other blogs participating in Angie’s baby shower below the recipe, and if your are looking for more recipes for a shower or party, check out my collection of Appetizers.
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, OR FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Yields Serves 8-10
Comfort food at its finest, this American Pierogi Casserole is filled with mashed potatoes, egg noodles, onions, American and cheddar cheese, and lots of butter. It's great for any get together or a warm, cozy dinner.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 6 cups mashed potatoes
- 12 ounces extra wide egg noodles
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 10 tablespoons butter, separated
- 18 slices American cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Cook the egg noodles in salted, boiling water for the shortest time suggested on the package. Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled; drain completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Slice all but 2 tablespoons of the butter into thin slices.
- Saute the onion in one tablespoon of the butter in a pan over medium heat until softened, about five minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Spread 1/3 of the mashed potatoes evenly into the baking dish, top with 1/3 of the noodles, 1/3 onions, 9 slices American cheese (plus 1/3 cup of the cheddar, if using), and 1/3 of the sliced butter scattered on top. Repeat two more layers.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Please take some time to check out all the amazing recipes we made for Angie’s virtual baby shower!
Appetizers & Salads:
Creamy Grape Salad with Toasted Pecans from Unsophisticook.
Mini Chicken and Waffles from Sweet Beginnings.
Pimento Cheese Stuffed Buttermilk Biscuits from It’s Yummi.
Savory Cucumber Melon Salad with Honey Thyme Vinaigrette from Cooking in Stilettos.
Spicy Southern Deviled Eggs from This Gal Cooks.
Banana Pudding Layered Dessert from High Heels and Grills.
Brookies from Baked Bree.
Caramel Corn from The Redhead Baker.
Caramel Pecan Cheesecake from Cooking with Carlee.
Chocolate Chip Clouds from All Day I Dream About Food.
Lemon Donuts with Raspberry Glaze from Ashlee Marie
Low Carb Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Cupcakes from Sugar-Free Mom.
Mickey Mouse Candy Pops from The Decorated Cookie.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownie Bars from The Bitter Side of Sweet.
Small Batch Rhubarb Strawberry Jam from The JavaCupcake Blog
Classic Yellow Butter Cake with Fudgy Chocolate Icing from That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
Yellow Cupcakes with Peach Cream Cheese Frosting from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt.
Worms and Dirt Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips.