Let's celebrate Earth Day, April 22nd, and National Picnic Day, April 23rd, with recipes great for an outdoor picnic! This Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad takes a basic egg salad to a whole new, deliciously fabulous level!
Thanks to our great host T.R. from Gluten Free Crumbley for hosting this week's #SundaySupper featuring great picnic recipes! Sad to say, but I think I've only been on a picnic maybe three times in my life. I remember making sandwiches to take to a park with a boyfriend when I was a teenager, but I'm sure it wasn't anything special.
Here is another sad fact, I've never liked egg salad. Like, not at all. I never really understood why, because I like everything that goes into a basic egg salad. I think I just didn't like the combination. But, we had tons of hard-boiled eggs leftover after Easter, so I decided to try to find a way I would like egg salad. This is it!
I decided to add avocado, because I love it, and then bacon would give it a nice, salty flavor, then add a bit of spice to the egg salad by adding sriracha sauce. It's not overly spicy, though, just enough to give it a little "kick". If you like spicy, add an additional teaspoon sriracha at at time, and taste before adding more.
If picnics or cookouts aren't in your plans, you can make it the night before, and cover it tightly, and then make a quick and easy breakfast bagel sandwich in the morning.
Make sure to check out all of the delicious recipes shared this week after the recipe for Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad, there are lots of great picnic ideas!
Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad
- 6 hard-boiled eggs ,peeled and chopped
- 3 slices reduced sodium bacon cooked crisp, drained, and crumbled
- 1 scallion ,sliced thin (white and green parts)
- ½ of an avocado seeded, peeled, and chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 ¼ tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine chopped eggs, crumbled bacon, scallion, avocado, and celery in a medium mixing bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice, then stir in the yogurt, mayonnaise, and sriracha sauce.
- Cover tightly and keep cold until serving.
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Style Chips by Momma's Meals
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Salad by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Grandma's Stuff by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline's Cooking
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous Veggie Salad with Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granola Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Tangy Brussels Coleslaw with Fennel, Chopped Apples and Golden Raisins by Simply Healthy Family
Soups and Salads:
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
- Nicoise Salad by The Petit Gourmet
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fudgey Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Am I the only one that doesn't see any Sriracha sauce in this recipe?
Hi Cheryle, I'm so sorry, I did forget to include the Sriracha in both the ingredients list and directions. Thank you for noticing! I used 3 teaspoons Sriracha, added when I mixed the ingredients. Of course, if you like it hot, add a little more. I would do a teaspoon at a time.
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook says
Such great flavors here
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm says
Great idea adding the avocado to the mix...YUM
Wow, I think I would actually eat this egg salad. I don't like the taste of eggs but with all that avocado and sriracha, I can imagine this is quite delicious!
Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch says
Love the addition of creamy avocado and spicy sriracha! Yum!
Paula @ Vintage Kitchen says
What a great twist on a traditional dish! I can eat avocados for days!
The Ninja Baker says
Fantastic idea, Bernadette! Egg salad has always been a favorite. But with your sriracha, bacon and avocado surprises, I do believe it just got better =)
I feel the same way about egg salad, but yours sounds amazing! A little heat and avocados makes it SO much better!
Cindys Recipes and Writings says
Great way go spice up egg salad!
Love how you have upped this egg salad to a whole new level, delish!
Thank you Tara! No bland egg salad ever again!!