Healthy doesn't have to be bland! Bring great flavor to whole wheat pizza with this Whole Wheat Pizza Dough with Italian Herbs and seasonings that is quick and easy to make, add your own healthy toppings and have dinner ready in less than 30 minutes!
I think that this may be the first recipe I've ever shared that is simply the base for a recipe, and not the entire recipe. I'm not going to tell you how to make your pizza this time, I'm just going to share a quick and easy homemade whole wheat pizza dough recipe that I've been making recently. It came about after I bought too much whole wheat flour, for something I can't remember, and I wanted to use it up. We have been eating a lot more whole wheat and whole grain breads and pastas, but they have been store-bought. I've also been making pizza at home a lot more, and with the exception of Victory Pig Sicilian Style Pizza they have been pretty healthy. Veggies, lower fat cheeses, you get the idea. This particular one has turkey pepperoni on it, and nobody here can tell the difference between it and regular pepperoni!
I start out by mixing the flour, quick-rise pizza yeast, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, oil, and hot water in a bowl, then kneading it for a few minutes, adding additional flour as needed to keep the dough from being sticky.
Then press it out into an oiled baking sheet. I don't have a pizza stone, I should really get one!
That's it! Top with desired pizza toppings and bake for 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye on it after 12 minutes, so the crust doesn't stick to the pan!
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough with Italian Herbs
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour plus additional if needed
- 1 package Fleischmann's pizza crust yeast
- ⅔ cup very warm 120-130 degree F water
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 6 tablespoons canola or olive oil ,divided
- Combine 1 cup of the flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder in a mixing bowl. Stir in water and 3 tablespoons oil. Mix well. Turn out onto a clean surface dusted with ½ cup flour, and knead, incorporating the dusting flour and adding more if needed to keep it from being overly sticky, for 4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Press out dough into a pizza pan, drizzle olive oil on top, top with desired toppings, and bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until cheeses are melted and crust is golden brown.