With summer coming to an end, things have been even more hectic than usual! Although summer is my favorite time of year, the good news is I should be getting back to more regular posting soon. Today I have a guest post from Cooking in Westchester, here with a great side dish!
I am happy that this year, we have done a good job of merging our flavors and spices into the children’s meals, making a lot of them all purpose family meals. This becomes especially important during the early weeks of the back to school routine, which often take a little time to sink into.
It is always lovely to have fresh vegetables around, it allows for quick and spontaneous creativity. This broccoli and carrot stir fry is a new-comer in the kitchen, redolent with garlic and toasted mustard seeds and some curry leaves. I was actually thrilled to have my daughter comment on how much she liked the smell of curry leaves when they were cooking.
With flavors, the kids are also a tag team, with older one leading the charge. This works both ways, the good news is that when she approves of something the younger one is usually happy to jump on the bandwagon. The reverse is not always true. Well, today curry leaves however passed the muster and this bright and nutritious dish has been inducted into the, “household staples” hall of fame.
Here is the recipe, which I finished off with a nice touch of red pepper flakes and a good squirt of lime juice for us grown-ups.
Carrots and Broccoli with Toasted Mustard Seeds and Curry Leaves
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
6 medium sized carrots (about ¾ pound)
½ pound of broccoli florets (you can use the tender leaves, too, if you are using garden fresh broccoli)
3 tablespoons oil (preferably olive oil)
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
3 pods minced garlic
10 curry leaves
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Lime or lemon juice
Method of Preparation
- Peel the carrots and cut into a dice.
- Chop the broccoli into small pieces.
- Heat the oil on medium heat for about 1 minute and add in the mustard seeds and wait until they crackle.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and gently stir until very aromatic.
- Add in the curry leaves and add in the carrots and stir well.
- Stir in the salt and cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Mix in the broccoli florets and the leaves (if using) and stir in the coriander powder.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender crisp.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes and squeeze in the lime juice and serve.