Over the last 4 1/2 years I’ve shared a lot of appetizers that are great for snacking on while watching football. Let’s kick off this season with Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry and Cheesy Mexican Chorizo Puff Pastry Tarts. I love how easy these are to make!
The Puff Pastry comes from the freezer section of your grocery store. Once it is defrosted, it can be used for lots of things, from flaky, gooey desserts to appetizers like this. You can even make a delicious breakfast like a Cheesy Egg and Bacon Tart I made once upon a time.
I used a pizza cutter to cut the defrosted Puff Pastry Sheets into squares,
and baked them for 10 minutes. I let them cool for a few minutes, then I topped each square with a little shredded mozzarella cheese,
followed by some cooked Mexican Chorizo sausage
and finally more cheese. More cheese is always good!
In the world of food, I always seem to live in an alternate universe than my foodie friends. I’ve never even seen chorizo sausage links in my grocery stores, only bulk Mexican seasoned chorizo, which I can only find during certain times of the year. I know I can make my own, but I haven’t yet. That one is in my plans for this year. If you can only find the links, just remove the casings and crumble the meat before cooking.
Cheesy Mexican Chorizo Puff Pastry Tarts
Visit Pepperidge Farm® to find more recipes for inspiration and try Puff Pastry Sheets for your next gathering. Sign up for the Puff Pastry newsletter for even more recipes, tips and exclusive offers every month.
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, OR FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
- 2 Pepperidge Farm® puff pastry sheets defrosted for no more than 40 minutes at room temperature
- 1 pound bulk Mexican chorizo sausage
- 3 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Crumble the chorizo as much as possible (I've found it easiest to to by hand), then brown in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Set aside and allow to cool in the pan juices.
- Unfold the defrosted puff pastry sheets and cut into 9 equal size squares per sheet. Place the squares on baking sheets, prick each piece all over with a fork and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave the oven on. Let cool for a few minutes, then flatten each square down with the back of a spatula.
- Top each piece with a little shredded mozzarella, then equal amounts chorizo, and a final layer of cheese. Bake for 10 minutes more or until the cheese is melted and the tarts are sizzling.