Warm up this Winter with a cup of Creamy Espresso Hot Chocolate, made with all natural ingredients like cream, bittersweet chocolate, and instant espresso. This beverage will warm you up and wake you up!
Creamy Espresso Hot Chocolate
Welcome to Day 6 of Christmas Week. This annual event was started in 2012, and is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic. This year we have over 35 bloggers sharing festive sweet recipes for the event.
I’m sure everyone drank hot chocolate as a kid, but when you make it as an espresso hot chocolate it becomes such a great grown-up treat! Yeah, there is a big jolt of caffeine in this hot chocolate. Fresh chocolate makes all the difference between this and your typical hot chocolate. It is incredibly thick and creamy. I highly suggest making one after spending time outside on a cold day.
This creamy espresso hot chocolate recipe makes enough for at least two large mugs, but if you want to just have one, the mixture can be refrigerated for up to three days and reheated in the microwave.
Read on after the recipe to see all the other great sweet treats shared today.
- 1 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso
- 4 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate ,crushed
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut extract
- mini marshmallows ,for topping (optional)
- grated semi-sweet chocolate ,for topping (optional)
- Place the bittersweet chocolate in a plastic freezer place, and smash it with a meat mallet or a heavy pot until the chocolate is fine pieces.
- In a small pot, combine the heavy cream and water. Place over medium heat and whisk in the instant espresso and hazelnut extract. As soon as it starts to steam, reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk in the bittersweet chocolate, until all the chocolate is melted. Pour into mugs and top with mini marshmallows and grated chocolate, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipes from Day 6 of Christmas Week! Please visit all our talented participants:
Red Velvet Swirl Fudge from Cravings of a Lunatic
Christmas Wreath Cupcakes from The Redhead Baker
Fresh Cranberry Mini Scones from Farm Fresh Feasts
Chocolate Praline Pretzels from Food Lust People Love
Cranberry Tangerine Mojito from Mind Over Batter
Gingerbread Cookie Bars from From Gate to Plate
Stained Glass Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Macadamia Coconut Macaroons from Aloha Flavor
Peppermint Popcorn from Poet in the Pantry
Mexican Chocolate Panna Cotta from Cooking in Stilettos
Peppermint Mocha Truffles from Try Anything Once Culinary
Chocolate Mocha Roulade from Mother Would Know