Until a few weeks ago I had never cooked chorizo, but my regular grocery store started carrying it recently, and every week since I would go by it in the meat section and think about trying it. These Baked Eggs with Chorzio and Potatoes are made with Mexican chorzio, which is ground and in a casing like sausage or in bulk, which is what I used here. This recipe is inspired by Food and Wine Baked Eggs with Chorizo and Potatoes.
Mexican chorizo is spicy, like taco meat, and is prepared the same way as ground beef. Paired with simple sunny-side up eggs and finely diced potatoes, this makes a great weekend breakfast! Serve with toast or bagels with juice and coffee for a complete meal.
This recipe has only 4 ingredients, and is fairly simple to make. I chose to make it completely on the stove and cut the potatoes into small pieces to save time. These days I love nothing more than saving time!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
Eggs with Chorizo and Potatoes
- 1 pound bulk Mexican chorizo
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups red potatoes , unpeeled and finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chorizo and break into small pieces with a spoon, stirring often, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Remove the chorizo from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and return to the heat, adding the vegetable oil. Add the potatoes and onion powder, saute, stirring often, until potatoes are cooked through and crispy. Add the chorizo back to the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium/low. Make four indentations in the mixture, break an egg into each one, cover the skillet, and cook just until the eggs are set, about 5 minutes.