After a busy summer, and a short blogging vacation last month, I am finally back to #SundaySupper for this weeks Slow-Cooker event hosted by Christie of A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures and Heather of Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks. The recipes being shared this week range from soups to desserts and everything in between, including a few I never would think to make in the slow-cooker!
I've been receiving a lot of squash from my CSA in the past few weeks, and some of it I had never cooked before, like acorn squash. I was determined to use something from my CSA loot for today's recipe, seeing as how I've been really bad about using all that produce (I know, horrible!) and can't even find time to freeze it, or I remember it at midnight and really don't feel like it. This Acorn Squash and Apple Soup uses two medium-sized acorn squash and sweet Gala apples, with a little sweet onion for extra zing.
After chopping up the acorn squash and apples, along with the sweet onion, chopped carrots, and garlic, I put them in the slow-cooker and covered them with chicken broth;
and stirred in just a little bit of pepper. Set the slow-cooker to HIGH and let the soup simmer for about 5 hours. Then I pureed it with my new immersion blender (my old one broke a few weeks ago, if you remember my mentioning my pure sadness over it), stirred in a half cup of milk and was ready to serve.
This soup is creamy, slightly sweet and peppery, and reminds me of the Pumpkin Soup I make every Thanksgiving, only sweeter. Don't get me wrong, it's not overly sweet, just the perfect balance!
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we did, and find many other great recipes after this one at the bottom of this post.
Slow-Cooker Acorn Squash and Apple Soup for #SundaySupper
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 2 pounds)
- 4 cups chicken broth or water for a vegetarian version)
- 2 cups chopped Gala or other sweet red apple ,peeled
- 1 carrot ,peeled and sliced (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 large clove garlic ,minced
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup milk or light cream
- fresh parsley ,for garnish
- Using a very sharp knife, make a large slit in the tops of both acorn squashes. Place in the microwave on high for 3 minutes, turning after a minute and a half. Alternate: Place in boiling water for 2 minutes. Carefully remove. Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp, and then cut into wedges about 1-inch thick. Cut off the skins, getting as close to the skin as you can. Once the skins and any remaining pulp are removed, cut the squash into cubes between 1-2 inches thick.
- Place the cubed squash, chopped apples, carrot, onion, and garlic into the slow cooker, pour in chicken broth or water, then stir in the white pepper.
- Set the slow cooker on HIGH and cook for 4-6 hours, or on LOW for 8 hours, until squash is completely tender. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Stir in milk, ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley.
- Crockpot Kielbasa Split Pea Soup from The Foodie Army Wife
- Amazing Slow Cooker French Onion Soup from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Soup from Flour On My Face
- Kale & Kielbasa Soup Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Spinach and White Bean Soup from Amee's Savory Dish
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Spicy Ham and 10-Bean Soup from Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Caramelized Pork Noodle Soup from Brunch with Joy
- Slow Cooker Acorn Squash and Apple Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Three Bean, Butternut, and Quinoa Vegetarian Chili from Ruffles & Truffles
- Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup With Gouda from Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup #GlutenFree from Sue' s Nutrition Buzz
Scrumptious Mains (Breakfast and Dinner)
- Slow Cooked Apple Pie Oatmeal from Life Tastes Good
- Pork and Cabbage Stew from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from Peaceful Cooking
- Slow-Cooked Country Pork and Veggies from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders from Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef from Marlene Baird
- Madras Beef Curry with Vegetables from Curious Cuisiniere
- Crock Pot Pork Chops with Apples and Figs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Sesame Chicken from Casa de Crews
- Pork Chops in Gravy with Potatoes from Cookin' Mimi
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Slow Cooker Spicy Peach Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Scalloped Potatoes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions from The Dinner-Mom
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Chocolate Cake from MealDIva
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow-Cooker Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding) from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake from NinjaBaking
- Slow Cooker Sourdough from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Slowcooker Seedy Bread from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
Sips and Spreads
- Spiced Caramel Cider from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.