Easy Fried Potatoes with Oyster Mushrooms and Brie is a simple side dish with an elegant touch, perfect for weeknights or special occasions!
Earlier this week I shared a recipe for Chicken in Milk and mentioned that I had made fried potatoes with oyster mushrooms and brie to go alongside it. I hadn’t really planned on making it at all, just happened to have a small brie that I had purchased a few weeks ago thinking I was going to use it in something else that didn’t happen, and oyster mushrooms I was thinking of using in an appetizer. Sometimes my best recipes aren’t planned at all, because everyone loved these potatoes! I think my husband liked it better than the chicken, even.
Fried Potatoes with Oyster Mushrooms and Brie
These aren’t the prettiest potatoes, but they are so delicious, and so easy to make! Just fry diced potatoes (I used red, but any would work) in canola oil until crispy, drain, add chopped mushrooms (again, any kind would work) chives, and a little salt and pepper, saute until the mushrooms are soft, turn off the heat, and fold in the brie cheese. The secret to keeping the potatoes crispy is adding the cheese after it’s removed from the heat. The brie is only partially melted and pairs great with the potatoes and mushrooms. It made a great substitute for mashed potatoes.
- 2 large red potatoes, unpeeled and well scrubbed, chopped
- 8 ounce brie round, rind removed and cut up
- 3.5 ounces oyster mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup canola oil, for frying
- Heat the oil over high heat in a saute pan with enough canola oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Add the chopped potatoes and fry, stirring often until crispy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Drain the oil and turn the heat down to medium. Add the chopped oyster mushrooms and chives to the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and saute until the mushrooms are soft. Remove from the heat, lightly fold in the brie, and serve.