This Chicken Tamale Pie tastes just like tamales! With a traditional masa harina crust, shredded chicken, diced veggies, and salsa verde, it's much easier and quicker to make, full of flavor and the perfect #SundaySupper.
Chicken Tamale Pie
This weeks #SundaySupper is hosted by Erica of The Crumby Cupcake, and the theme is PIES, both sweet and savory.
I love tamales, though I'll admit I've probably never had authentic Mexican tamales. Unless, maybe the one's at the bazaar for a local church were authentic. It's a possibility, they have a high Hispanic population at St. Nick's. If so, that would be it. We have purchased frozen one's in the past, I've never made my own because of the time it would take. Maybe someday I will find it worth the time, but for now I get my tamale fix in tamale bites or in chicken tamale pie form.
I adapted the masa crust for this chicken tamale pie from Serious Eats. It is MUCH more light and not dough like than the crust in my Bacon Jalapeno and Monterey Jack Tamale Bites, and for a few minutes I was afraid it wasn't going to work. When it was done, it was just like a tamale on the bottom, and golden and crispy on the top.
The dough isn't easy to spread evenly, I used a rubber spatula and didn't worry if it was perfectly even. Do you really worry about things like that when it's just for yourself and your family? I just worry that the dogs might eat it before I photograph it. I was holding the plated pie over my head when I snapped this photo of Bella, with Jack behind her.
Be sure to read on after the recipe for all the other great pie recipes shared today!
Chicken Tamale Pie
- 3 ½ cups masa harina
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock, divided
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening or lard
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups finely shredded cooked chicken breast
- ¾ cup finely diced green bell pepper (any color is fine)
- ¾ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
- ½ cup salsa verde
- Cooking spray
- Stir together the masa harina and 3 cups chicken stock in a medium-size bowl. In a large mixing bowl combine ¾ cup vegetable shortening, salt, and baking powder. Mix together with an electric beater on low speed. Add the masa, large serving spoonfuls at a time, continuing to beat on medium speed until fully combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening or lard in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute the diced bell pepper, onions, corn, and jalapenos for 3-5 minutes until just beginning to soften. Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded chicken. ½ cup chicken stock, and salsa verde. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the masa from the refrigerator and beat with an electric mixer one more time. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Spread about ⅔ of the masa evenly across the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Fill with the chicken mixture. Carefully spread the remaining maza over the top, Wipe the rim of the pie plate to remove any excess maza.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until hot and lightly golden on top.
Sweet As Pie
- Apple Browned Butter Tart by The Chef Next Door
- Banana Cream Pie from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Blood Orange Pie from The TipToe Fairy
- Brown Sugar Pie from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cherry Chocolate Brownie Pie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Coconut Cream Pie from Family Foodie
- Easy Lemon Pie from Basic N Delicious
- Fresh Lemon Hand Pies from From Gate to Plate
- German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie from Meal Planning Magic
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie from NinjaBaker
- Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grapefruit Pie from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from Pies and Plots
- Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie from The Crumby Cupcake
- Leaf Topped Apple Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Magic Cookie Bar Pie from Moore or Less Cooking
- Mixed Berry Hand Pies from My Imperfect Kitchen
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Pie from Feeding Big and More
- No Bake Blueberry Mini Filo-Pies from Hardly A Goddess
- No-Bake Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Tart from Magnolia Days
- Orange Meringue Pie from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Paifala (Samoan Pineapple Half Moon Pies) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from Sweet Mornings
- Perfect Manhattan Pie from The Texan New Yorker
- Pineapple Meringue Pie from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Swiss Apple Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Raspberry Cheesecake Pudding Pie from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Mascarpone Tart from Taste And See
- Beef & Red Wine Pie from Wholistic Woman
- Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust from Food Lust People Love
- Chard and Parsnip Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Cornish Pasties from Palatable Pastime
- Homity Pie (British Potato Leek Pie) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Cheesy Artichoke and Asparagus Phyllo Pie from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Italian Hand Pies from Brunch-n-Bites
- Irish Shepherd's Pie from The Freshman Cook
- Jamaican “No-Beef” Patties from What Smells So Good?
- Mini Swiss Quiches from Family Around The Table
- Mushroom Swiss Quiche from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Pizza Rustica from Monica’s Table
- Salmon Pot Pie from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Savory and Spicy Mincemeat Pie from eating in instead
- Shepherd’s Pie Hand Pies from Our Good Life
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie from Life Tastes Good
- Spaghetti Pie from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spicy Korean Cottage Pie from kimchi MOM
- Taco Hand Pies from Kitchen Gidget
- Weeknight Chicken Pot Pie from Books n' Cooks
- Plus: Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
I have made this three times.... the first time it turned out perfect!... The second time the crust was not really a crust and it crumbled a bit. The third time it really crumbled. The taste is great and I want the success of the first time. What am I doing wrong?
Hi, did you change the brand of masa harina after the first time? That would be my first thought. I looked and I did say that the dough wasn't easy to spread evenly so it could also be that the dough is being pushed into the filling too much and that is causing it to crumble. I hope that helps, and good luck!
Sue Lau says
Looks really tasty!
YUM! Never had a chicken tamale before, this looks delish!
Thanks! I loved it!
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook says
Sounds great, and much easier than assembling tamales!
Yes! I keep wanting to make tamales, but the time!
What a fun way to get all the great flavor of tamales without all the work! My dog hovers whenever I'm cooking---hoping for a crumb!!
I'm afraid someday she's going to get a whole meal, Liz!
What a great idea for a dinner pie!