Turn ordinary chicken tenders into a full meal your family will love with this Skillet Chicken with Spinach and Avocado! Tender chicken, sauteed spinach, diced avocado, simmered in chicken broth and finished with just a little bit of sour cream. Full of protein, iron, and healthy fats, this delicious #WeekdaySupper is ready in less than 30 minutes.
I’ll be the first to admit this skillet chicken recipe isn’t the prettiest dish I’ve ever made, or maybe my photography hasn’t improved that much in three years (clearly evident by the photo below of the finished dish in the skillet!). Today is my three year blogging anniversary!! The first recipe I ever shared was The Best Scalloped Potatoes Ever!, and they would be great for Easter dinner this Sunday, but three years ago today I wrote What Am I Doing Here?? just laying out my plans for the blog and sharing a little bit about myself.
Back to the Skillet Chicken with Spinach and Avocado, it is so simple to make. I’m going to show you how I did it, and the printable recipe is at the bottom of the post.
Just dust chicken tenders in seasoned flour, place in a skillet:
and cook until browned.
Remove the chicken and add baby spinach,
cook for a few minutes until wilted, then add the chicken back to the skillet along with some chicken broth,
simmer for a few minutes until the chicken is cooked through and tender, then add the diced avocado, lemon juice, and sour cream and stir gently.
Check out the rest of the #WeekdaySupper recipes shared this week!
03/30/15 – Monday – Easy Skillet Pesto Pasta by Momma’s Meals
03/31/15 – Tuesday – Crustless Greek Spinach Pie by Palatable Pastime
04/01/15 – Wednesday – Fresh Pea Soup and Grilled Cheese Supreme by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
04/03/15 – Friday – Pasta with Leeks and Bacon by The Redhead Baker
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- 4 packed cups baby spinach
- 1 avocado peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a shallow bowl mix together the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Dust chicken tenders in seasoned flour.
- Heat a large skillet with the canola oil over medium high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes per side until lightly browned. Remove the chicken to a plate, set aside.
- Add the spinach to the skillet, scraping the bottom of the pan to break up any browned bits. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the chicken wilts.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, pour in the chicken broth, and simmer for a few minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and tender. Add the avocado and lemon juice, gently stir in the sour cream, turning the chicken a few times. Serve hot.