A few years ago, shorty after I started this blog, I posted a recipe I called Fabulous Nachos. They are fabulous, but the photos were horrible, and I missed a few important steps in the recipe. Yep, basically I was a newbie! This is basically the same recipe, but improved! These Ultimate Nachos are easy to make, and you can add your own favorite toppings when assembling your plate.
A little story, not that nachos need a story: My daughter LOVES tacos, but in reality she really likes the taco shell. My daughter’s grandmother (her dad’s mother) started calling tortilla chips tacos when she was a baby, and so it stuck. She’s five now, and can’t hold a full taco yet, so I break two shells up into “chips” and put the filling on top. So, tacos are nachos to her, and she loves these!
I often make Homemade Taco Seasoning, but for ease and speed I chose to use store-bought with these nachos. What I really should do is make a big batch of the homemade taco seasoning so I have it on hand all the time. However, my homemade taco seasoning recipe is a bit spicier than store-bought, so the store-bought is probably more kid friendly.
Start by browning the ground beef, then adding the taco seasoning and water, just like for tacos. Then layer black beans, the seasoning ground beef, salsa, and cheese in a baking dish greased with butter and bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Yes, butter and cooked salsa, just trust me! I promise you won’t be sorry!
Place your favorite brand of tortilla chips on a plate, and top with a large scoop of the meat mixture, then your favorite nacho toppings such as shredded lettuce, additional shredded cheddar cheese, sliced black olives, and pickled jalapenos. And of course, Easy Guacamole! To make things simple, I replace finely diced tomatoes and onions in the guacamole with a tablespoon or so of salsa, then just add a splash of lemon juice and lime juice, and a little salt and pepper. Can’t get simpler than that without using store bought guacamole loaded with preservatives, right?
These nachos are perfect for snacking on while watching the game, kids will love them and adding their own toppings, and they are filling enough to keep you satisfied!
Ultimate Nachos with Easy Guacamole
- For the nacho topping:
- 1 1/3 pound 80% lean ground beef
- 1 16 ounce jar salsa (any brand and heat you desire)
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans ,drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces Mexican cheese blend
- 1.25 ounce packet or homemade taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- Favorite brand tortilla chips
- Additional topping suggestions: shredded lettuce ,shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese, sour cream, sliced black olives, pickled jalapenos
- For the guacamole:
- 1 avocado ,peeled and seeded
- 1/4 of a small yellow onion ,finely diced
- 1-2 tablespoons salsa
- splash each lemon and lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the ground beef over medium-high heat, drain, stir in water and taco seasoning.
- Grease a baking dish with butter. Layer black beans, seasoned ground beef, salsa, and cheese in the pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the guacamole and additional toppings.
- In a medium bowl combine peeled and seeded avocado, finely diced onion, salsa, lemon juice, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Mash with a fork or potato masher until well combined.
- Prepare the nachos by putting tortilla chips on a plate, topping with hot ground beef mixture, additional desired toppings, and guacamole.