A quick and easy weeknight dinner, this Hoisin Chicken Stir-Fry is made with thin sliced chicken breast strips, broccoli, and onions in a delicious hoisin, peanut butter, and sriracha sauce.
Hoisin Chicken Stir-Fry
Let me give you a little advice, though if you have kids you probably already know this. Taking your children to the grocery store is a bad idea. You end up buying things they say they want, even if you’re pretty sure that once you make it, they aren’t going to want to actually eat it! This is what happened last Thursday when I let my daughter come with me. She’s 6, with a 16 year old attitude. She decided she wanted me to buy rice noodles. I can’t remember if she ever had them before, but one of her favorite dinners is “chicken and rice”, which I change how I make it often, so I thought she might like them in a stir-fry. I decided to make a hoisin chicken stir-fry, mixing peanut butter in with the hoisin sauce along with some sriracha sauce to give it a little zing.
Dinner is ready. She LOVED it!! I mean, really, really, really, loved it!! So much that she asked if she could have it again for dinner the next night. She ate the leftovers while we ate potato pancakes. Can’t get the child to eat a potato pancake, nope. But a hoisin chicken-stir fry, that’s like the best meal ever, Mom! I have to say that from first bite (mine) I thought she was going to say it was too spicy, but she didn’t. I would suggest cutting the sriracha sauce in half if you or your kids don’t like spicy at all. Or try this Chicken Stir-Fry with Broccoli.
- 1¼ - 1½ pounds thin chicken breast, cut into ½ inch thick strips
- 3 cups frozen broccoli
- ½ of a red onion, sliced
- ⅔ cup water
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, for sauteing
- Rice noodles or sticky rice, cooked according to package directions
- In a wok or large rimmed saute pan, heat the sesame oil over high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until cooked through,about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon, set aside.
- Add the water, hoision sauce, peanut butter, and sriracha, stir well.
- Add the sliced onion and broccoli to the pan, saute for 5 minutes,stirring often.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and continue to cook, stirring often, until the broccoli is hot. Serve over rice noodles or sticky rice.