Slow Cooker stuffing loaded with bacon, sauteed onions, and sage. Save room in your oven this Thanksgiving by making your stuffing easily in your slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Stuffing with Bacon, Onions, and Sage
Last year on Thanksgiving I made a really good slow cooker stuffing that had bacon and onions in it. Even as I was making it, I was planning on sharing it here. In the hustle of Thanksgiving preparation I didn’t take any photos or write down my changes, so I planned on making it again right away. I had gotten the recipe from…somewhere. But, where? A search of my cookbooks turned up nothing, there were slow cooker stuffing’s but not with bacon and onions. There was a bacon and onion stuffing I had pinned, but it wasn’t slow cooker. Today, almost a year later, I still have no idea where the original recipe came from.
I still wanted to make it again. Badly. So, I made my own version a few weeks ago. This slow cooker stuffing is full of crumbled reduced sodium bacon (low-salt diet for my husband, I’ve found one that is yummy and only has 5% of a daily value of sodium), making it delicious without being overly salty. I used reduced fat butter, better for you than margarine. I added no salt added chicken stock. Basically, I took something I love and made it as healthy as I could. I didn’t sacrifice taste one little bit! I’m pretty sure you will agree!
This Slow Cooker Stuffing only takes fifteen minutes to prepare, and is done in two and a half hours. It’s great for the Thanksgiving Day rush, or anytime! What is your favorite stuffing? Do you make the same one every year, or try something new?
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST OR ON FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Slow Cooker stuffing loaded with bacon, sauteed onions, and sage. Save room in your oven by making your stuffing easily in your slow cooker.
15 minPrep Time
2 hr, 30 Cook Time
2 hr, 45 Total Time
- 10-12 cups day old bread cubed (I buy a package of cubed bread)
- 10-12 slices lower sodium hardwood smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups chicken stock (I used no salt added)
- 2 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup light butter
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until softened, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed bread to a large mixing bowl. Mix in the crumbled bacon, parsley, sage, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Pour the chicken stock over the mixture, followed by the beaten eggs, and sauteed onions with the butter. Mix until well combined and moist.
- Transfer to a large slow cooker, cover, and set to HIGH. After 10 minutes, reduce to LOW and cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring once half-way through the cooking time.