Cheesy ground beef in a Mexican inspired sauce wrapped in a soft flour tortilla, this Beef Meximelt is easy to make at home, and healthier than fast food!
Hi! Remember me? The food blogger who kind-of took the summer off? Let’s be honest, I haven’t written a new recipe since the Beer Marinated Grilled Porterhouse Steak a month ago tomorrow. So how did we spend the summer? We went to Wildwood, NJ for Amanda’s first time at the ocean.
She was a little scared of the ocean at first, but here’s a timeline of about ten minutes.
We did lots of other things this summer, too, but that was the most fun.
School started on Monday, and so back to doing things I love, like sharing great recipes! These Beef Meximelts came about after my daughter requested Taco Tuesday. We don’t usually do those things, but she loves tacos and must have heard the expression somewhere. I searched my pins on Pinterest for a new idea, and found I had long ago pinned Slow Cooker Beef Taco Meximelts from White Lights on Wednesday. This recipe is inspired from that one. They called it a Taco Bell copycat recipe, but I won’t do that because I’ve never had the pleasure of trying the beef meximelt from there, and I changed a lot. I promise it’s delicious, though!
I was out of store bought taco seasoning, and didn’t have time to make my homemade, but I found a package of cocoa and ancho spice I had received from Calicutts Spice Co a long time ago and thought the taste was perfect for this recipe. Unfortunately, I can’t find anything online about this particular spice from them, so they may have stopped carrying it. Regular store-bought taco seasoning will work just as well, just make sure to leave out the cornstarch!
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef 97%
- 1 tablespoon avocado or canola oil
- 2 medium tomatoes ,diced, with juices
- 1 medium yellow onion ,chopped
- 1 jalapeno ,seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa and Ancho Seasoning/one packet store-bought taco seasoning or equivalent homemade
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (omit if using taco seasoning)
- 3 cups combined shredded Mexican cheese blend and shredded pepperjack (I used reduced fat Mexican cheese blend)
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- additional diced tomatoes and sour cream for topping (optional)
- In a large, deep pan, brown the ground beef along with the chopped onions in the avocado oil over high heat. Drain.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the tomatoes, diced jalapeno, water, and seasoning of choice (mix the cornstarch with the water first, if using). Bring to a simmer; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded cheeses, a handful at a time, until all the cheese is melted. Continue to simmer until thickened and bubbly.
- Warm the tortillas wrapped in damp paper towels for 30 seconds on HIGH. Spoon about 2/3 cup onto each tortilla, top with additional diced tomatoes if desired, and fold. Top with sour cream (if desired). Serve immediately