I think now would be the perfect time to share one last really summery recipe, with this Chilled Chickpea Soup. Great for hot days, the pureed chickpeas make this a filling soup that won’t leave you hungry!
This really isn’t the last summery recipe since I have tons of fresh produce to use, but this one is a middle of summer, it’s 95 degrees out type of recipe! I’m sure it’s still 95 in a bunch of places right now.
I made this a while back after seeing it on Pinterest and realizing I already had most of the ingredients on hand, and could easily change the rest. It was a great way to use some of the vegetables from my garden. I don’t make chilled soups all that often, with the exception of Bacon Gazpacho which has just recently become a favorite, but I’ve been looking for new ways to use up the vegetables from the garden and my CSA. They are everywhere!
I love hummus and this soup is just like a thinned out hummus with chunky vegetables in it, then topped with blue cheese or feta cheese. Or really, any kind of cheese you like as long as it’s a soft, crumbly cheese.
- 2 15.5 ounce cans chickpeas ,drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup water ,or more, depending on desired consistency
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/8 cup chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic ,minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and fresh ground pepper ,to taste
- Combine the chopped tomatoes, cucumber, chives, parsley, and cilantro in a bowl along with a dash of salt and pepper.
- In a blender, combine the drained and rinsed chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, olive oil and another dash of salt and pepper. Add water, starting with one cup, and blend until smooth and thin enough to pour. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Pour into bowls, top with the vegetable mixture, and sprinkle crumbled blue cheese on top.
Adapted from The New York TImes