Sweet, moist Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting. These cupcakes are perfect for the holidays, with an easy to make Nutella buttercream frosting.
Welcome to Day #3 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
I’m having a blast sharing these great recipes this week! For one thing, it’s a lot of recipes I don’t usually make, so now I will have my freezer stocked with desserts for Christmas.
I had a small package of chopped hazelnuts in my cabinet that I wanted to include somehow in a Christmas Week recipe, and my daughter has been asking for cupcakes, so I decided I wanted to make Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting. Of course I had to research some recipes, and I finally adapted one from Bird On A Cake that sounded really good.
Good. Yeah, these are PHENOMENAL!! Honestly, I could just sit with a bowl of this Nutella frosting and eat it with a spoon like it is ice cream. Or even forget the spoon and just use my fingers! You are going to want to do it, trust me. Just make sure to save enough to ice the cupcakes! In my case, I may have overfilled a few of the cupcakes because I ended up with a couple less than the original recipe called for, but that’s okay, if you like big cupcakes with lots of frosting. This recipe could be made as a chocolate hazelnut cake, as well.
Read on after the recipe for Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting to see all the rest of the great sweet treats shared today. Here are a few of my favorite Christmas desserts and treats I have shared over the years:
How to make Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes
Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup VERY hot not boiling water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hazelnut extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Frosting:
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 13 ounce jar Nutella equals about 1 1/4 cups
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Toasted hazelnuts optional
- For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pans with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together all of the dry ingredients. Mix two teaspoons hazelnut extract with the light cream, add to the dry ingredients along with the eggs, vanilla, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer until just combined, then add the HOT water and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour into liners, filling each about 2/3 full. It's okay if you go a little over, but stay under 3/4 full or they could overflow! Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on a rack completely before frosting.
- For the frosting:
- Beat room temperature butter in a mixing bowl on low speed until smooth. Add Nutella and one cup of powdered sugar, beat until the sugar is mixed in, then beat in the other cup of sugar and the cream until smooth. Cover and keep refrigerated if not frosting the cupcakes immediately. Bring out of the fridge 1/2 hour before using.
- Optional: top cupcakes with chopped hazelnuts toasted in a 350 F oven for 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes.
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway came courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs!
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Freund Container & Supply. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.*** This giveaway has now ended.
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Ginger Bears by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Santa’s Favorite Holiday Bark by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gingerbread Linzer Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gingerbread Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by See Aimee Cook
- Bourbon Barrels by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Toasted Almond Shortbread by The Messy Baker
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti by Noshing With The Nolands
- Wine Poached Pear and Almond Rugelach by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Bebinca – Layered Goan Cake by Masala Herb
- Artichoke Dip Tarts by Food Lust People Love
- Layered Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Chocolate Dipped Baked Potato Chips by Dizzy Busy and Hungry