Did you see my most recent recipe before this one? Bacon Jalapeno and Monterey Jack Tamale Bites? I’m hosting a giveaway for Becca from It’s Yummi‘s 50th birthday! That giveaway ends at midnight tonight (Jan 30!) but she has decided to open up her final birthday giveaway to all of you! Read on after my recipe for Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup to enter to win $150 dollars!! Yep, you read that right, one hundred and fifty dollars!!
I love cream of chicken soup, but I want it simple, without a tons of veggies in it. Vegetables have their place, of course, just not in my cream of chicken soup! As a matter of fact until recently the only way I liked it was chicken broth, cream, chicken, and pepper only. I’ve expanded on that just a little bit, adding finely diced carrots and some spices and herb, but it’s still very simple, and just the way I like it! I know this is probably just me though, so feel free to add whatever veggies you like. Celery, potatoes, parsnips, and mushrooms would all work well! So would crumbled bacon. I know bacon isn’t a vegetable, I just wanted to point that out 😉 Anyway……….
Looks good and simple right? Perfect for all the cold nights (and days!) we have been having!
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- 6-7 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup finely diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn starch or flour mixed with enough COLD water or chicken broth to make a thin paste
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Add in the carrots, reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the shredded cooked chicken, heavy cream, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, and black pepper. Heat through until bubbly, but not boiling.
- Mix the corn starch or flour with enough COLD water to make a thin paste, pour into the soup and stir constantly for 1 minute. Soup will thicken slightly upon standing. Serve hot with some crusty bread or a salad.
And now for the giveaway!!