This Savory Pumpkin Bread is filled with pumpkin puree and fresh herbs. It's perfect for stuffing, or serving in a basket for Thanksgiving dinner.
Welcome to Day 2 of #PumpkinWeek hosted by Terri of Love and Confections.
This is only the second bread recipe I've shared in 5 years of food blogging. The other is Zucchini Raisin Bread, which is ironic because we are right at the end of zucchini season and are already full in to pumpkin season. This bread is a little dense and full of Fall flavors.
Savory Pumpkin Bread
I adapted this recipe from one that was used to make stuffing, and I think that would be fabulous. I gave a whole loaf to my niece and her 3-year-old son loved it as toast. It is a little dry when cold, so I recommend heating it in the microwave or toasting it and topping it with butter.
Read on after the Savory Pumpkin Bread recipe to see all the other great recipes being shared today.
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, OR FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Savory Pumpkin Bread recipe adapted from Recipes, Food & Cooking.
Savory Pumpkin Bread
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon chopped thyme
- pinch black pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- ½ ounce instant yeast (2 packages)
- ¼ cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie puree)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all the chopped herbs and black pepper in a small bowl, set aside. Beat the eggs in another small bowl and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and warm water; stir and set aside for about 5 minutes, or until bubbly.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt; stir to combine.
- In a microwave safe liquid measuring cup add the milk, melted butter, and cream cheese. Microwave for about 30 second or until the cream cheese is melted when stirred well.
- Add the proofed yeast, milk mixture, eggs, pumpkin, and herbs to the flour mixture. Stir until completely combined, then turn out onto a clean, lightly floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes or use the dough hook on a stand mixer, adding additional flour if the dough is sticky. Cover the bowl and let stand in a warm area for about 1 hour or until the dough is doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two loaf pans with butter all around the bottoms and sides. Divide the dough in half and press into the pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until the loaves sound hollow when you tap on them or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. Bread slices can be reheated in the microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds.
Here are today's #PumpkinWeek recipes:
Savory Pumpkin Recipes:
Pumpkin Lasagna from A Day in the Life on the Farm.
Pumpkin Pie Hummus from Mildly Meandering.
Pumpkin Polenta from Cindy's Recipes and Writings.
Sweet Pumpkin Recipes:
Bourbon Caramel Pumpkin Roll from The Crumby Kitchen.
Maple Glazed Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts from Love and Confections.
Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Bread from Palatable Pastime.
Pumpkin Casserole with Roasted Marshmallows from Daily Dish Recipes.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls from Cookaholic Wife.
Pumpkin Cookies from Making Miracles.