I made this Chicken Parmesan one night to use up some chicken breast cutlets I had in the big freezer in the basement. I love having the big freezer, because our refrigerator is a side-by-side and the freezer section is so small that we could never store big packages of meat or anything like that in there. We use it just for things like ice cream and others snacks, plus I store open packages in there. I don’t exactly buy meats in bulk, but when I grocery shop I tend to buy one or two extra items I could make for dinner just in case I can’t make it to the store again when I normally would. Therefore, the chicken cutlets. I didn’t really have a plan for them when I bought them, other than my 4 year old has been on a chicken and rice kick recently, and actually she had a fit when I made these with thin spaghetti instead. She did eat the spaghetti though, because the way I made these there wasn’t a lot of sauce for the spaghetti and that’s just the way she likes it! If you want more sauce for your spaghetti just heat up another jar or your own homemade separate.
The great thing about this recipe is how easily adaptable it is to whatever you have on hand. If you don’t have, or can’t find, chicken breast cutlets, just pound an equal amount of chicken breasts as thin as you can. I use plain breadcrumbs and add my own seasonings, but you can use Italian bread crumbs or adjust the seasoning to your liking. I used an Italian cheese blend here, but shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses alone are great in this, and really if your out of spaghetti the chicken by itself is great!
- 1½- 2 pounds chicken breast cutlets*
- one 24 ounce jar marinara or traditional sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Italian cheese blend*
- 1 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (or enough to coat the pan)
- cooking spray
- thin spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. In another shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Dip each cutlet in the egg, and then the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breadcrumbs into the cutlets. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Working in batches, brown the cutlets for about two minutes on each side.
- Spray a large baking pan with cooking spray and place the browned cutlets in the pan. Spread the sauce over the cutlets and top evenly with the cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
Substitute cheese blend with mozzarella and Parmesan.
Now, for something completely different: Check back here next week starting on Monday morning because I have a week worth of new recipes EVERY DAY and a new GIVEAWAY every day!!! I’m participating in Christmas Week with a group of food bloggers, and all of the recipes I’m going to share with you are desserts that are just perfect for Christmas! I will be sharing fudge recipes, cookies, and cupcakes and I can’t wait!! Now I have to go, time to get in the kitchen and start baking!!! Have a great weekend, and see you here Monday!!