Southwest Chicken Pumpkin Chili made in the slow cooker with shredded chicken breasts, black beans, hot salsa, and pumpkin puree simmered in chicken stock. This chili is full of flavor, not too spicy, and healthy!
Southwest Chicken Pumpkin Chili
Once upon a time there was a food blogger who may or may not be named Bernadette. She made a chili, a really good Southwest Chicken Pumpkin Chili that she planned on sharing as soon as she could. Then, her husband invited his best friend over to watch the game and told him I would make my Award Winning Chili (thanks for volunteering me, honey. I mean, I love you!!). The difference between the two is like night and day, and both are equally delicious! Well, his best friend cancelled on us after I already bought everything I needed to make the chili. I decided to make it anyway, in order to take better photos than the ones that are on that post. Hey, I was a newbie! That was yesterday, and it took just long enough to put together that I didn’t have time to finish writing this recipe. Then, today my daughter got sick (her first strep throat, great.). So, I’m late with things as usual. Such is my crazy kitchen.
You can’t really taste the pumpkin in this pumpkin chili, it’s there more to help thicken the chili and make it healthier. A 1/2 cup serving of pumpkin puree has 200% of a days worth of vitamin A and 6% of a days worth of iron. The idea for it comes from a recipe I pinned to my “Healthy Recipes to Try” on Pinterest a year ago. Plus, it is pumpkin season! Since I don’t bake often I get my pumpkin in savory ways, like Pumpkin Soup.
I used chicken that I simmered in chicken stock for one hour, then removed to a cutting board to shred. You can save time by doing this the day (or a few days) before, then save the chicken stock in the refrigerator along with the shredded chicken until needed. Make sure to skim the fat off the top of the stock before adding it to the soup.
Adapted from Heartbeet Kitchen Pumpkin & Black Bean Chicken Chili.
- 1 pound chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 3 cups (or more for thinner chili) chicken stock (Kitchen Basics or homemade recommended)
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pure pumpkin puree
- 1 (16 ounce) jar hot salsa (I used Newman's Own)
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Fresh chopped cilantro, diced avocado, and shredded Mexican cheese blend, for serving
- Combine chicken stock, pumpkin, and salsa in a slow cooker. Stir in shredded chicken, diced green pepper, minced garlic, chili powder, and ground cumin. Mix until well blended.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours, on on LOW for 6-8. Ladle into soup bowls,and top with fresh chopped cilantro, avocado, and shredded cheese.