Flavorful, healthier Pepperoni Pizza Burgers made with lean ground turkey, Italian seasonings, pizza sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, and topped with turkey pepperoni. These keep all the flavor and more of traditional burgers while losing a lot of the fat!
Turkey Pepperoni Pizza Burgers
I’ve been sharing a lot of over-the-top indulgent recipes recently. I started off the year with Savory Ham and Cheese Waffles followed a week later with the Loaded Crab Poutine, so I think it’s time for something a little bit healthier but still something everyone will love. Guys. this is seriously one of the best burgers I’ve ever had! Who needs ground beef? Not me!
Of, course, I do use ground beef, I’m not about to deny that. Just not all the time. Ground turkey is MUCH healthier, and sometimes I just prefer it. It’s a bonus that my daughter doesn’t mind the difference either, and she loves turkey pepperoni! Truthfully, I don’t think she even knows there is a difference, and I’m not about to tell her.
This recipe makes five burgers at a little bit more than a quarter pound (before cooking) each.
- 1⅓ pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup pizza sauce (I used the lowest sodium store-bought I could find)
- 16 slices turkey pepperoni
- 5 thin slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 5 kaiser rolls
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, egg, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder; mix well. Shape into 5 equal patties. Place on a griddle pan over medium-high heat and cook, turning once until cooked through (about 170 degrees).
- Reduce heat to low and top with equal amount of pizza sauce, both cheeses, and pepperoni. Cover and continue to cook until the cheese is melted. Serve on Kaiser rolls.