My husband has been after me to make Stromboli at home for a long time, so when I joined the weekly #SundaySupper Movement recently and saw that the first theme I would be able to participate in was “Stuff, Roll, and Wrap” I knew immediately it was time to finally make one. I just couldn’t bring myself to make homemade dough for it, I tend to make a mess with flour, and really didn’t feel like cleaning it all up, so I just used refrigerated crescent rolls as the dough instead.
The purpose of #SundaySupper is bringing family back around the table. Right now we almost always have dinner together, but as our daughter gets older and starts participating in different activities, I know it will probably get harder to do. I do consider it important to have meals together, have a chance to talk, reconnect, and just spend time together, and that’s why I decided to join this movement I had already heard so much about!
I went with a simple ham and cheese stromboli instead of a regular Italian one hoping my daughter would eat it. She did not. It appears we are at a VERY picky time period, she just didn’t buy the idea it was like a grilled ham and cheese. Not that she would eat that, either, I was just grasping at straws.
I started out by bringing the crescent roll dough to room temperature, about an hour. Then I rolled the dough up into a ball and pressed it out with my fingers greased with just a few drops of olive oil, until it was about a 10 inch rectangle. Then I brushed a thin layer of marinara sauce over the dough, and then a layer of deli ham,
and then a layer of sliced mozzarella cheese,
followed by just a little Parmesan cheese.
Then I carefully folded over the dough a quarter of the way, then completely over the rest of the filling, and pressed the ends of the dough together.
After it was folded, I brush the top with a little egg white, and then sprinkled Italian seasoning lightly over the top, then baked it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing, and served it with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
Doesn’t it look GOOD?! Read below for the printable instructions, and then be sure to check out what everyone else made for today. Trust me, there are all kinds of delicious food here!
Easy Stromboli made with crescent roll dough, perfect for #SundaySupper or anytime!
1 hr, 15 Prep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hr, 35 Total Time
- 12 ounce refrigerated crescent dough
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce, plus extra for dipping
- 8 slices deli ham (like a cooked ham)
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- a few drops olive oil
- sprinkle of garlic powder
- sprinkle of salt
- 1 egg white
- sprinkle Italian seasoning
- Bring crescent dough to room temperature, 1 hour or longer (the warmer the dough is, the easier it is to work with).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a large baking sheet press out the dough into about a 10-inch rectangle using your fingers lightly coated with olive oil. Brush the pressed out dough with a thin layer of marinara sauce, then layer on the ham and cheeses to about 1/2 inch from the edges. Sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.
- Starting from a long end, fold the dough carefully a quarter of the way over then fold over the entire filling, pressing the dough ends together (you may have to stuff some of the filling back under). Brush lightly with egg white and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until hot and golden brown. Let it rest a few minutes before slicing. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Pierogie Shells by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Lemon and Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por – Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Rolled Greek Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Cabbage Venison Lettuce Wraps With Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Lemon Curd Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.