Spring vegetable Creamy Asparagus Spinach Soup makes a perfect first course for Easter brunch, or a perfect light dinner.
Welcome to day 2 of #EasterWeek! I’ve teamed up with some of my great food blogging friends to celebrate Easter and my 5 year blogging anniversary with all kinds of delicious recipes! From appetizers to ham recipes, we have everything you need for a great Easter brunch or dinner. Read on below to find out more!
Believe it or not asparagus is really, really good puréed into a soup. I say that in all honesty because several years ago I shared an Asparagus Soup with Dill Oil that I really love, but nobody else is interested in. Of course, it could be because I never updated the post or photos, but I digress.
Creamy Asparagus Spinach Soup
This Creamy Asparagus Spinach Soup is a must for the Spring, when not only are both asparagus and spinach in season, but in most of the country there are still plenty of cold, snowy, or rainy days when you want a nice bowl of soup. Then again, I could and do eat soup all year long.
I didn’t use a lot of cream in this soup, but it can easily be made creamier by adding additional cream to taste a quarter cup at a time. I used a mixture of vegetable broth and chicken broth because that is what I had on hand, and it was delicious, but either all vegetable broth or all chicken broth would be just as good.
Read on after the recipe and to see the other great recipes shared today!
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, OR FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
- 1 pound asparagus, bottom two inches removed, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 5 ounces baby spinach, washed and patted or spun dry
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 32 ounces garden vegetable broth (non-tomato based)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Combine the chopped asparagus, baby spinach, chopped shallot, and minced garlic in a large soup pot. Pour in the broths. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- When the asparagus is tender, purée carefully either using an immersion blend or in small batches in a stand blender. Return to the stove, pour in the heavy cream, and heat through over medium heat. Serve hot.
Make vegetarian by using all vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
Today’s Deliciously Perfect Recipes for Easter:
Apricot & Honey Ham from Making Miracles