These Easy Lemon Bars are sweet and tart, made with fresh lemon and finished with powdered sugar. They are great for a spring or summer dessert.
Note: This recipe was originally part of a recipe swap with another food blogger. The blog was called Hun, What’s For Dinner. As far as I can find, that blog no longer exists. This post is completely different from the original as it appeared here in 2013.
- Lemon juice and lemon zest: You want to use freshly squeezed lemon juice and fresh lemon zest in this recipe. If you don’t have a zesting tool, you can run your lemons in very short, quick, back-and-forth movements on a cheese grater.
- Powdered sugar and granulated white sugar
- large eggs
- butter or margarine: I recommend butter. I would hardly ever recommend margarine anywhere.
- baking soda
For the crust, you will want to use cold butter, and cut it into pieces as small as you can before mixing it with flour.
Pressed the mixture into a 8×13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees until golden.
While the crust is baking, get the filling ready. Mix together the eggs with the sugar, lemon juice and zest, flour and baking powder until well combined. When the crust is ready, pour the mixture over the crust and return to the oven for about 25 minutes or until the filling is set.
Allow to cool a bit before sprinkling with powdered sugar, then cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares and serving.
How to cut the bars:
It’s easiest to cut the bars using a serrated bred knife and wiping the knife clean with a damp cloth as needed.
How to store:
Cover these Easy Lemon Bars with plastic wrap and refrigerate as soon as the baking pan is cool. They can be kept refrigerated up to five days. To keep longer, place in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to six months.
Looking for more great spring and summer desserts? Try these:
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK,TWITTER, OR INSTAGRAM, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Easy Lemon Bars
For the crust:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine I used butter, the original recipe calls for margarine.
For the filling:
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 350* F. Combine two cups flour with the powdered sugar. Cut in butter or margarine and stir until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into an 8×13 baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges being to brown slightly.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. Beat the eggs together with the sugar, lemon juice and zest, flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Once the crust is baked pour the filling over the crust and return to the oven for 25 minutes or until the filling is set. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and allow pan to cool completely before cutting into squares.