Baby shrimp in a creamy avocado chicken broth topped with crumbled bacon make this creamy Warm Avocado Shrimp Soup easy enough for everyday yet elegant enough for holiday dinners.
Welcome to November! Are you ready for cold and snow? I’m not! You may have noticed that I completely blew past Halloween recipes, but I always do. My 7-year-old knows I don’t like to bake and I’m not at all crafty, so I just stick to the savory recipes. Now that November is here, it’s the perfect time for Warm Avocado Shrimp Soup! I had been wanting to make this for a long time, and I don’t know that I’ve ever been more sorry that I put something off. This soup is amazing! It’s creamy, full of baby shrimp, topped with crumbled bacon (I HIGHLY recommend this!), so easy to make, and ready in about 25 minutes.
Warm Avocado Shrimp Soup
I could, and do, eat soup all year long, whether hot or cold soups. It seems the last time I shared a soup recipe here was in March, Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup. Pumpkin Soup is also a favorite of mine this time of year. This Warm Avocado Shrimp Soup, however, might just be my new all-time favorite! I wanted to make it as a hot soup, so that it would be perfect for serving as a starter for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, but I tried it cold and it’s really good that way, too. I know there are some people out there that don’t like avocados, but I really think you should give them another chance this time. The same goes for the shrimp, sometimes it’s just how you have a certain ingredient prepared that makes all the difference.
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST OR ON FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
- 2 avocados, diced (ripe but not mushy)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado or canola oil
- crumbled bacon for garnish, optional but HIGHLY recommended
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces baby shrimp (90-140 count) peeled and tails removed, thawed if frozen
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for a few minutes. Add the garlic and saute for one minute more. Pour in the chicken broth, add the diced avocados, cilantro, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or working in batches with a stand blender, puree until completely smooth. Add the heavy cream and the shrimp. Cook just until heated through. DO NOT LET IT BOIL. Serve hot or cold topped with crumbled bacon.
Nutritional information does not include crumbled bacon.