This Almond Joy Pie, or chocolate, almond and coconut pie makes its own crust and creates a delicious custard middle with the coconut and almonds on the top.
I’m not normally a fan of coconut, but in the case of this pie I make an exception. There isn’t really anything you can replace the coconut with, you could leave it out, but then it wouldn’t be an Almond Joy Pie.
Put this out on your holiday dessert table and it’s sure to be a hit!
What will I need to complete this recipe?
- Butter or margarine
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Bisquick, but self rising flour will work if necessary
- Cocoa powder
- Whole milk
- Coconut – I used sweetened, but the pie is sweet, so if you prefer you can use unsweetened.
- Slivered or sliced almonds – not whole!
You will also need a 10-inch pie pan, a cookie sheet, and tin foil. All of the ingredients are simply beaten together, poured into the pie pan, placed on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil and baked at 350 degrees for approximately 55 minutes.
What is the texture of the pie?
This pie is mixed altogether and poured into the pan. As it bakes, the bisquick goes to the bottom forming a crust. The eggs, milk and sugar form a custard in the middle, and the coconut and almonds rise to the top like a pecan pie. The chocolate is all throughout the pie.
How should I store this pie?
Cover well with saran wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Looking for more dessert recipes for your holiday table? Try these:
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK,TWITTER, OR INSTAGRAM, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Almond Joy Pie
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Bisquick (or self-rising flour)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a pie pan with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the butter, sugar and eggs together. Add the vanilla, Bisquick, cocoa and milk and beat to combine.
- Add the coconut and almonds and stir, then pour into the pie pan.
- Place the pie pan on a tin foil lined cookie sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Pie will poof up, but will fall when cooled.
- Remove and cool completely before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream.
- Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.