Make these Easy Salted Chocolate Caramels today! Made with melted chocolate chips and store-bought caramel topping, they are the perfect Christmas gift, if you can stop yourself from eating them all first!
Merry Christmas everyone!! Every year since I started this blog, Christmas comes much faster than I need it to. I never get enough time to share all the Christmas recipes that I would like to. I do even worse when it comes to Christmas treats. I’m totally making up for the lack of tons of recipes with these Easy Salted Chocolate Caramels, though!
How to make Easy Salted Chocolate Caramels
I never realized how easy it is to make homemade chocolates until I found Homemade Gourmet Chocolate on CakeWhiz. All I had to do was melt chocolate in the microwave, then use a pastry brush to coat ice cube trays with the chocolate.
(I seem to only own blue ice cube trays with gaps that I guess are supposed to fill the trays with water easily,but made me unable to use those spaces.)
Freeze the trays for 20 minutes, then add the filling.
Top evenly with more melted chocolate, and freeze again.
Here are a few tips I learned from testing this recipe a few times to see how easily the chocolates would come out of the trays and make sure they didn’t fall apart.
- Fresh, unopened chocolate chips melt much better than older chocolate chips. A new bag melted completely smooth and poured easily, while older chips never became truly liquid. Lesson learned. Also, why did I have three bags of milk chocolate chips when I rarely bake??
- Don’t over-fill the holes in the ice cube trays. I added to much chocolate on top. You do want to make sure each cavity is completely coated with a good layer of chocolate, with no gaps, otherwise the chocolates will crack and lose the filling.
- If the chocolates don’t pop out of the trays easily, carefully push straight down with a butter knife along the corner of each cube. It should release easily when you pull the knife up.
- Be prepared for the fact that you may not be able to get every piece of chocolate out of the tray in one piece and make extra. I lost 3 pieces.
Here are a few more chocolate recipes great for Christmas desserts and treats for you to enjoy:
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, OR FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Easy Salted Chocolate Caramels
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips , melted and divided
- 16 teaspoons salted caramel topping (or plain caramel topping)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (freshly ground, if possible)
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt one cup of the chocolate chips in 30 second intervals, stirring well in between cycles, until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Use a small pastry brush to brush the melted chocolate into each cavity of two ice cube trays, Completely cover the bottoms and sides, making sure to double-check for gaps. Place in the freezer for twenty minutes.
- Using a measuring teaspoon, fill each cavity with the caramel topping. It is not necessary to scrape the teaspoon to get all of the topping, just pour in as much as you can.
- Melt the second cup of chocolate chips following the instructions above. Use a kitchen teaspoon to pour equal amounts of the chocolate on top of each filled chocolate, tilting the ice cube tray slightly to coat each piece evenly. Sprinkle the chocolates with sea salt. Place the trays back in the freezer for twenty minutes.
- Carefully remove the chocolates from the trays, using a butter knife inserted straight down on the side of each chocolate and pulling straight up, if needed to loosen the chocolates.
- Store covered in a cool place, or package them up to give to friends and family.