Homemade Penne Alla Vodka, restaurant quality vodka sauce is less expensive to make at home, creamy and comforting Italian food.
Originally posted on October 27, 2016. Updated January 29, 2020.
What is your favorite pasta dish, either from a restaurant or that you make at home? Penne Alla Vodka is one of my favorite things to make, and I think I've made it myself more than I've ordered it in a restaurant. I don't make it all that often, but when I do I love it!
I haven't shared as many homemade sauce recipes in the last few years like I did when I first started this blog, but I still love to make them. Some I make completely from scratch using tomatoes from my garden, others I use canned tomatoes in because it's faster and easier. Using canned tomatoes here, this Penne Alla Vodka is ready to serve in about an hour.
How to make Penne Alla Vodka
Though it is normally considered a special occasion dish, Penne Alla Vodka isn't hard to make at home at all. It's perfect for anytime you have an hour to spare and want to cook something special without a lot of work.
Saute onions in butter and olive oil, add garlic, tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, sugar, and vodka.
Bring to a boil, then let it simmer for about 45 minutes before adding fresh herbs, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Be sure to use real Parmigiano reggiano, or at the very least American Parmesan cheese, and not the stuff in a can.
Stir in the cheese first until melted, then slowly add cream and heat through before serving.
Serve over cooked penne pasta for the most amazing comfort food this pasta lover can think of! No penne, no problem, this sauce can be served with almost any kind of pasta. Vodka sauce is also delicious over chicken.
Do you need more pasta sauce recipes? Try these:
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM MYSELF AND MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS? FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST OR ON FACEBOOK, WHERE I SHARE NEW RECIPES DAILY. YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO GET NEWLY POSTED RECIPES FOR FREE!
Homemade Penne Alla Vodka
- 28 ounce can tomato puree
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ ounces tomato paste (½ of a small can)
- 1 ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream can subsitute light cream
- 8 ounces penne pasta cooked according to package directions
- In a large pot saute onions in butter and olive oil until just beginning to soften; add garlic and cook, stirring,for one more minute. Add in the tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, sugar and vodka.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes.
- During this time you can shred your cheese and chop the fresh herbs.
- After 45 minutes, stir in the herbs and cheese and continue to stir until cheese is melted. Slowly stir in the cream until heated through. Serve over penne pasta cooked according to package directions. This sauce would work with many other types of pasta or chicken.